Help! I don't wanna get shocked!

Old 06-14-00, 07:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just found out that my husband has had the washing machine plugged into a surge protection strip and not the actual outlet. I didn't think that this sounded right so I looked at the installation intructions for the washing machine and they say not to use an extention cord and to use only approved grounding type wall receptacles. I told my husband this but he didn't take it seriously. I am trying to convince him that he should not use the surge protector strip, and he should use the actual outlet, but I am afraid that I don't know enough about it to convince him. Can you tell me why you have to use the outlet and what could happen if you use a surge protector?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-00, 02:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Assuming the surge protector strip is a grounded type, and I've never seen one that isn't, then it really should not cause a problem. The caution about extension cords is most due to extension cords being fairly long with small guage wires which will heat up under heavey current draw of a washing machine. Most surge protectors have fairly should cords and they are unlikely to cause a problem.

On the other hand, there is very little reason to use a surge protector on a washing machine. Unless it's got a computerized control panel, there is nothing that is susceptible to surges. It's all switches and motors. Those things don't get harmed easily.

Old 06-14-00, 02:25 PM
Visiting Guest
the reason that there is a surge protector stip in the laundry room is because we have a computer hub located in there and we needed more outlets so the strip that the washer is plugged into is also being shared by other electronics. This also worry's me.
It could be that there is nothing to worry about but I just have never heard of anyone doing this and I can't convince my husband that it shouldn't be done that way.

Old 06-14-00, 05:16 PM
Visiting Guest
hello wendy,
according to the code the washing machine needs to be on its own circuit. to have the washing machine on the same circuit as a computer is risky. the machine could draw enough power to have the puter running on low voltage, espicely whin the motor starts. i strongly recomend u put the washer ojn its own circuit., or at the least the puter.

Old 06-15-00, 07:34 AM
Visiting Guest
I have to agree with sprky here. The computer stuff needs to be on its own circuit, or at least not on the circuit with the washing machine. Motors starting create a lot of electrical noise on a circuit. I doubt there is a major safety issue. You aren't going to get shocked. But, the washer should be on a dedicated circuit and the computer equipment should really be on a different one from any sort of electric motors. The surge protector, if it's good one, is probably catching the spikes from the the washer, but eventually those things go bad.

My day job is as a computer systems engineer. Believe me, the biggest danger here is to the computer gear.

Old 06-15-00, 09:20 AM
Visiting Guest
my husband is a computer geek( I use that term lovingly so no offence) with a bachelor of science in computer information systems and he works as a systems analyst. That is why we have a network in our tiny house :-) We have the cable modem and the network hub thingy(sorry I don't know the exact names for this stuff I just point and click) in the laundry room and we have cat5 all over the house, but he wanted it to all come together in a central location that was easy to get to in the attic so that is why he picked the laundry room. Plus it isn't all too pretty all the wires and blinking lights so it's nice and hidden in the laundry room. The only thing is he didn't count on having only only one electrical outlet in there. I have been giving him such a hard time that he is now going to try to put an outlet in using the oulet in the garage on the other side of the wall and trying to tap into that. Is that OK. He says it will be ok but it might be too much for the circuit if we use both outlets at the same time. Does this sound like something we should do?

The reason that I found out that he had the washer on the surge protector in the first place is because my brand new 3 week old washing machine broke down. We had a repair guy come and fix it and he said we had a defective pump. I am wondering if it's possible that it had something to do with being plugged into the power strip and not the outlet.

My husband is very smart and I would usually never question anything he does with computers or electrical, I just want to make sure that he doesn't screw himself later if there is a fire or something and the insurance won't pay because of some shortcut he used.

Old 06-15-00, 01:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Wendy, no offense, but I think you worry too much. I don't believe anything he's done or plans to do stands any chance of causing any harm at all to the washing machine (how many megawatts does all this computer gear use anyway?).

I agree with other comments that the computer equipment should be your concern. Tapping into another circuit sounds like the perfect solution. There's no way anybody can say whether or not that garage circuit is the right one or not without knowing what else is on that circuit (certainly not just this one garage outlet).

And I wouldn't worry about putting too much one one circuit -- let the circuit breaker worry about that for you.

The important thing is that he make good quality connections. And I'm sure he's doing that.

Old 06-15-00, 01:39 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wendybear507:
my husband is a computer geek( I use that term lovingly so no offence) with a bachelor of science in computer information systems and he works as a systems analyst. That is why we have a network in our tiny house :-) We have the cable modem and the network hub thingy(sorry I don't know the exact names for

I have been giving him such a hard time that he is now going to try to put an outlet in using the oulet in the garage on the other side of the wall and trying to tap into that. Is that OK. He says it will be ok but it might be too much for the circuit if we use both outlets at the same time. Does this sound like something we should do?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The network hub and the cable modem are fairly low current devices. They most certainly did not harm your washing machine, and nothing electrical would have harmed the pump anyway, that's a mechanical piece. The surge supressor could not have done that either.

Moving the hub and modem to a different circuit is a good idea, and those two boxes combined probably draw less current than your average light bulb, so don't worry about overloading the other circuit. Getting power
from the other side of the wall sounds like a good idea to me, and mostly for the protection of the computer stuff. The washer is not, and never was in any danger from this.

Old 06-15-00, 02:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for all of your help I feel much better now!!! :-)