breaker box

Old 07-08-02, 05:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
breaker box

I would like to know if its ok to run 4 cables of 12/2 with ground romex wire through one of the large knockouts in a breaker box. I don't want to break any codes, or have a dangerous situation. Thank You Joe 4h

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-02, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
joe,

The cables should not be just run through one of the large knockouts in the panel. The cables need to be securely attached to the panel. The cables can sometimes be doubled up in a conector depending on the listing for the connector.

Old 07-08-02, 07:49 PM
J
I've seen panels where all the NM cables come in through the same large center knockout.

Old 07-08-02, 08:30 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The NEC does not specifically say individually secured to the box. However NEC 110.3.B does support what PCBOSS was saying. The PVC terminal adapters, the 2" Romex connectors, the 2" EMT connectors and many more methods that I have seen depicting exactly like what John was pointing out were a violation of the listing and labeling of those electrical components. NEC 110.3.B calls for the product to be used as listed and labeled and compatible to the manufacturer's recommendations. This is where the Code violation exists if you install more than two cables in a condulet or Romex connector. All that I have seen maximum allowed is two Romex connectors per manufacturer's instructions and listing / labeling. There are many Romex connectors that only allow one cable in that connector per 110.3.B.

Wg

Old 07-09-02, 03:45 PM
J
breaker box

I will be using a 1 inch romex connector to run the 4 cables through and into the breaker box. I just want to make sure it's ok to do that.

Old 07-09-02, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
Unless the 1" connector is listed for the use with the 4 cables it is a violation of the listing requirements.