Lights Dim

Old 07-08-02, 06:19 PM
S
StevenMa
Visiting Guest
Lights Dim

I have an old house and I recently had it upgraded to a 200 amp service. I also had a separate 20 amp circuit added to power an air conditioner on the second floor. When the compressor turns on, the lights in the kitchen and dining room will momemtarily blink. (Of course, different circuits.) My electrician tells me that a 'blink' is normal and unavoidable. Is this true? Is this safe? What causes this?

Also, I have BX cable and he used romex wiring for the additional work. Is this okay?

Finally, the wire from the new circuit runs thru my crawlspace. The first few feet are stapled, but when it runs thru a really tight area it just hangs, at one point even touching the dirt. Is this up to code? The inspector went in the basement when I wasn't home, and I'm amazed that he let this thru.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-02, 06:38 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is either a loose connection in the panel, or your power company's supply is undersized. If you assume that your electrician is competent, call your power company and ask if they will investigate your situation. Telling them that an electrician has already said that your side is okay will provide encouragement.

In most areas, Romex is okay.

The cable should not touch the dirt. It needs to be supported at least every 4.5 feet. Perhaps the electrician didn't feel like climbing around in the dirt, or perhaps he forgot to go back and finish up that part of the job.

Sometimes, an inspector is in a hurry to get to lunch.