Wiring question

Old 07-08-02, 06:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring question

Is it ok to put Romex cable through EMT conduit? I'm going to run a 25ft #3 (50A) circuit from the basement to the second floor and install a subpanel, and it's less expensive if I buy a 25ft bundle of Romex (3-3 with ground) then buying the individual wires). In Chicago everything has to be "metal clad", but I don't remember reading anywhere in the code if Romex is not allowed inside the conduit.
The second question I have is whether the 50A line will be ok. I think it will since the only loads will be a kitchen (no electrical appliances other then the fridge/microwave/disposal), a bedroom, a dining room and a living room. I'll bring a separate circuit (GCFI) for the bathroom and for the office/computer room.
The reason for the subpanel is because the original main panel is an old Murrays panel for which I have no idea where to get new breakers, and there is only space for 1 more breaker.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-02, 07:27 PM
The national electric code (NEC) permits romex to be put in EMT for protection from physical damage. If you are doing this in Chicago, to comply with the metalic raceway requirement, you will need to check with the Chicago Electric Code since they may not permit it.
You load requirements should be calculated depending on space size and loads. http://www.homewiringandmore.com/hom...DmdCalc02.html
Is a demand calc worksheet based on the NEC.
If your demand is in line with a 50A panel, then double check the wire size. Most 50A subpanels get fed by a #6/3 plus ground cable.

Old 07-08-02, 09:22 PM
T
Sorry, I ment to say #6 conductor for a 50A service line. It seems that demand-wise I should be ok, mainly because there is really no large load, and all loads will be 110V. I'll probably go with a 8 space breaker box and use tandem breakers (2 breakers for eac space, that will give me 16 total. That should be enough. Regarding the Romex, I couldn't find any mention of it in the code book, but I didn't look hard enough, it's kind of late in the evening. I'll run the 1" EMT first and see how long the wiring needs to actually be, then I'll decide, although the more I think about it the moe I'm leaning toward individual conductors. I ran a 10' piece of 30A romex through a 3/4" BX once and it was not easy...