Ground Wires not present

Old 06-17-00, 06:28 PM
Visiting Guest
I am trying to install a new ceiling fan. I have identified all the wires, but I cannot seem to find any green or bare ground wires in the existing ceiling light. The instructions state that it is not safe to operate it without a ground. Do I need to run a ground wire? If so, how? And, if I don't use a ground, is that a code violation? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-00, 03:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Kutansky,

Just because you can't see a ground does not mean it is not grounded. Did you do a reading between the hot leg and box. If you got a 120 reading, it is grounded. All you need to do is attach a green/bare pigtail to the box then to the green wire of the fan.
In case your home is very old, more than 50 years at least, you might not have a grounded circuit. You have two choices, run a new circuit from your panel board, most of these were grounded in the old days or wire it as is. If for some reason your motor grounds out it will not trip the fuse or breaker. It will energize all metal parts around it which may cause you harm. If you have no grounded panel, then I would see if a GFI downline feeding the fan is possible.