switch,outlet,light,light,switch

Old 06-17-00, 10:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

please help me. i have 4 wires red,white,black,and ground (12/3) on one switch at bottom of attic stairs it goes to a light in the attic and then to a switch in a bedroom. I want to add an outlet after the switch at the bottom of the attic stairs, and instead of 1 light i want 2 lights. And then connect it back to the switch in the bedroom, but the switch in the bedroom has just the red, black, and white wires not ground. i am re-wiring all new except for i am leaving the cable that is coming out of the box in the bedroom. It is old & it has alot more stuff connected to it that i did not want to unhook. i want to use the wire that is coming off the old light. Can this be done? Could you please help me & tell me how to rewire this. I rewired it the way the old stuff was wired in both lights the same way. And when i made my connection the outlet worked, but the lights were dim.When i flicked the switch in the attic bedroom it hummed loudly and was hard to turn off. the switch at the bottom of attic stairs didnot hum Please help!!

[This message has been edited by daw1077 (edited June 18, 2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-00, 11:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you have, or have created, quite a mess. It appears that you are trying to treat this like one circuit when in fact it is 2 circuits. I would suggest that you have a licensed electrician look at it and straighten it out for you. What he will charge is a lot less than what it will cost to repair or replace you house if you start a fire!

Old 06-19-00, 08:52 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lefty:
Sounds like you have, or have created, quite a mess. It appears that you are trying to treat this like one circuit when in fact it is 2 circuits. I would suggest that you have a licensed electrician look at it and straighten it out for you. What he will charge is a lot less than what it will cost to repair or replace you house if you start a fire!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank you for your advice. i was thinking the same thing.the 15amps circuit
is the one that the lights are hooked up to.when you turn off the breaker
there is still some power going too it. but the lights don,t work. thank you
so much
debbie

Old 06-19-00, 04:23 PM
Visiting Guest
hello daw,
i recomend u call your local electrician on this, it sounds like there r 2 circuits u r dealing with and have things crossed up. i cant tell u with out testing and souch what is waht.

Old 06-20-00, 06:38 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sprky:
hello daw,
i recomend u call your local electrician on this, it sounds like there r 2 circuits u r dealing with and have things crossed up. i cant tell u with out testing and souch what is waht.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sprky,
I already did but thanks for the reply.
debbie