New Stove, Need to Know about new wiring

Old 06-20-00, 07:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I have just purchased a new stove and I am trying to find out wether we need to run a new wire for the stove. The stove say's it runs off of 220 and I know the old stove outlet is 110. Do we need to re-wire. The house was built and 1941. Last question the old stove had standard outlet and new stove has 3 straight prong outlet. Can I just change outlet or is there more to it than that.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-00, 09:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Install a new circuit for the stove, following the mfgr's recommendations for the amperage requirements. If you have any doubts, call a licensed electrician. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jem4785:
I have just purchased a new stove and I am trying to find out wether we need to run a new wire for the stove. The stove say's it runs off of 220 and I know the old stove outlet is 110. Do we need to re-wire. The house was built and 1941. Last question the old stove had standard outlet and new stove has 3 straight prong outlet. Can I just change outlet or is there more to it than that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-22-00, 07:02 PM
Visiting Guest
hello jem,
if your old stove was 110 then it was more then likley a gas range. in order for u to install your new electric range u will need to install a new circuit. in the panel install a 50amp breaker run some #6-3 with ground romex to new recepleave some slack to chaing out recep at a later date if required. in panel connect the red and black to the breaker white to the nutural bar, and bare to the ground bar. in the recep connect the red and black to the hot legs(will be marked) and white to the other terminal. connect the bare to the metal part of the recep. you could run 6-2 with ground but whin u buy your next stove it will more then likley have the 4 wire cord and u will have to rewire again.