220V Dryer hookup to new wriring

Old 06-24-00, 06:32 PM
Visiting Guest
I know this topic has been discussed to death. But I need final clarification before starting the project.

Situation.

1. Dryer power cord is 3 prong with L shaped neutral/ground, and the ground is connected to the chassis.
2. I need to run a new wire from the breaker box to the laundry room and install a new outlet box.

Questions.
1. Does the wire have to be 10 gauge 3 conductor with ground? Since the neutral is to be grounded anyway. It might be in my local code, though.

2. If I have to use 10/3 w/gnd wire, I guess I have to replace the dryer cord with an appropriate one. But on the breaker box side, is neutral normally grounded unless you have 2 neutral buses in the box? If only one neutral bus, you will have to connect your ground wire to the bus bar anyway?

3. I still need to check my breaker box, but if it has two bus bars and I decided to use 10/3 w/gnd, I need to terminate neutral to a bus w/o gnd and the ground to the other bus w/gnd, right?

That should clear any confusion on my part.

potbunker

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-00, 09:09 AM
Visiting Guest
You seem to have answered all of your own questions. Pull a 10/3 from the panel to the new outlet. At the panel, black and red each go to the poles of a 30 amp, 2 pole breaker, white goes to the neutral buss, and bare to the ground buss. You may find that all of your neutrals and grounds are tied into one buss -- just follow what is there.