wiring interconnected smoke alarm

Old 06-25-00, 01:22 AM
Visiting Guest
My local code requires that I install interconnected smoke alarms when doing any remodeling--One in each sleeping area, one in the hallway adjacent to the sleeping area, and at least one on each level of the house. How do I install these and where can I purchase the components? Are there Kits available somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-00, 09:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Since they have to be interconnected, you will need 120 volt detectors, not battery powered. (Readily available at any home center.) Run power (14/2) to the first one and install 14/3 from there to the next, and the next, and the next, etc. Then simply connect wires by color -- black to black, red to red and white to white. The pigtails that come with the smoke detectors, just for your convenience, are colored just like the wires. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Karl:
My local code requires that I install interconnected smoke alarms when doing any remodeling--One in each sleeping area, one in the hallway adjacent to the sleeping area, and at least one on each level of the house. How do I install these and where can I purchase the components? Are there Kits available somewhere?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-25-00, 05:23 PM
Visiting Guest
The code requires that the actuation of one detector actuates the other detectors and that there be a battery backup. How do I do this? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lefty:
Since they have to be interconnected, you will need 120 volt detectors, not battery powered. (Readily available at any home center.) Run power (14/2) to the first one and install 14/3 from there to the next, and the next, and the next, etc. Then simply connect wires by color -- black to black, red to red and white to white. The pigtails that come with the smoke detectors, just for your convenience, are colored just like the wires. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-25-00, 05:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Karl,
It is still exactly like Lefty explained. The only difference you need to purchase a unit that has battery backup.
The third wire of a smoke detector, red, sometimes orange, and the red that is available in a 3/wire is what will interconnect your units.