Lightbulbs stuck in my ceiling fan

Old 06-25-00, 08:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The bulbs in my ceiling fan are stuck; I cannot remove them. It's almost as if they are welded in. Any suggestions on how to remove them?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-00, 08:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Try pulling the glass part of the bulb out of the metal base and then remove the metal base from the socket with needle-nose pliers. It's worked for me before.

Old 06-26-00, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Good Afternoon, campbelss:
Excuse my jumping in, but:
1) Make sure you switch off the breaker if you are going to try the idea with the needle-nose pliers.

2) Usually the bulb will seize in the socket over time due to heat and a mild corrosion on the base. Some luck has been had with
shutting off the same circuit breaker to disable the circuit, using a little WD-40 around the base of the lightbult, and wait for about a half-hour for the chemical to break up the corrosion. Then, work the bulb back and forth a little bit and it should start to break loose.

3)If the glass on the bulb breaks, (with the circuit breaker off), our favorite trick is to take a raw potato and shove into the socket....and turn. With the circuit breaker on, your wife can watch the 6 o'clock news in your belly button.

NEVER TRUST THE FACT THAT THE SWITCH IS OFF.
THE CIRCUIT CAN BE MISWIRED AND 120 VOLTS
CAN BE LURKING WITH THE SWITCH OFF. KILL THE BREAKER TO KEEP FROM BEING KILLED.

Smokey