Dimmer switched outlet (please help)

Old 07-12-02, 06:46 AM
N
new2this
Visiting Guest
Dimmer switched outlet (please help)

I'm going to be running some rope lights in my basement theater room. The rope lights have a plug and I don't want to mess with removing this and hard-wiring the rope light. So, what I'd like to do is run a dedicated dimmer-switched outlet for this rope light. I picked up a "one outlet unit" (most outlets have 2, but this only has 1) to use for this project. I will lable the outlet as dimmer switched and ONLY plug the rope lights into this outlet. My question is, how exactly do I wire something like this?

I greatly need your help on this.

BTW, I have wired switches before (about 6 months ago) and it ran smoothly, but I'm having a block on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-02, 07:08 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are two main options, one with a switch loop and one without. Let me give you the option without the switch loop, because it's simpler to describe.

Run a 14/2 (12/2 if on a 20-amp circuit) power cable from any source of continuous power to the switch box. Then run another cable from the switch box to the receptacle. At the switch box, connect both black wires to the dimmer, and the two white wires to each other. At the receptacle, connect black to brass, white to silver. Connect grounding in both boxes.

Old 07-12-02, 07:21 AM
G
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
In short, wire it recptacle like it is a conventional incandescent lighting fixture.

Old 07-12-02, 10:14 AM
Re: Dimmer switched outlet (please help)

Originally posted by new2this
I'm going to be running some rope lights in my basement theater room. The rope lights have a plug and I don't want to mess with removing this and hard-wiring the rope light. So, what I'd like to do is run a dedicated dimmer-switched outlet for this rope light. I picked up a "one outlet unit" (most outlets have 2, but this only has 1) to use for this project. I will lable the outlet as dimmer switched and ONLY plug the rope lights into this outlet. My question is, how exactly do I wire something like this?

I greatly need your help on this.

BTW, I have wired switches before (about 6 months ago) and it ran smoothly, but I'm having a block on this.
Warning, Notice, Danger. Many dimmers are not suitable for conection to an outlet because they will destroy themself if they are connected to an open circuit or it they are loaded after having been turned on.
--
Tom

Old 07-12-02, 01:48 PM
N
new2this
Visiting Guest
Re: Re: Dimmer switched outlet (please help)

Originally posted by hornetd

Warning, Notice, Danger. Many dimmers are not suitable for conection to an outlet because they will destroy themself if they are connected to an open circuit or it they are loaded after having been turned on.
--
Tom
Many other people have done this in the AVSforums. The only thing I'll ever be attaching to this outlet is the rope light. Is there a type of dimmer you would suggest? Or, should I hard wire the rope light to the dimmer (I'd prefer not to)?

Thanks.

Old 07-12-02, 02:17 PM
M
Many dimmers are not suitable for conection to an outlet because they will destroy themself if they are connected to an open circuit
This must refer to some pretty odd dimmers, otherwise when the light bulb burns out in a fixture (creating an open circuit) the dimmer would also fry!

Old 07-12-02, 02:32 PM
J
I too am wondering about the burnt out light bulb situation (connected to an open circuit), or the changing a light bulb situation (loaded after being turned on). Surely, the danger to your dimmer must not be great. Do not hard-wire your rope lamp. Just proceed with your plan.

Old 07-12-02, 03:15 PM
Check the label!

Originally posted by mikewu99
This must refer to some pretty odd dimmers, otherwise when the light bulb burns out in a fixture (creating an open circuit) the dimmer would also fry!
Just read the instructions that come with the dimmers guys. There is a reason that many say "waranty void if wired hot." Modern SCR dimmers will not have a problem but some of the older solid state and analog designs will. The prohibition against installing some dimmers to control a receptacle is in the dimmers labaled instructions. Some of the dimmers even have the language on the attached UL label "not for control of receptacle outlets."
--
Tom

Old 07-12-02, 05:33 PM
H
Hatteras
Visiting Guest
The problem with controlling a recepticle with a dimmer switch is that a motor driven appliance may be connected to that outlet. Give a motor a voltage too low to run and it will burn up. That's why. There are special dimmer switches that are made for ceiling fans that might work for you.

Old 07-13-02, 06:20 AM
G
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
If you clearly mark it as a lighting outlet, install it where it wouldn't
inadvertantly be used as a GP receptacle, and educate the family
and the help to the fact, it should be ok.

Old 07-13-02, 01:16 PM
R
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
Look at 404.14(E)
"E) Dimmer Switches. General-use dimmer switches shall be used only to control permanently installed incandescent luminaires (lighting fixtures) unless listed for the control of other loads and installed accordingly."
This has long been in the listing and labeling instructions and under previous codes it would have been a citable violation of 110.3(B). Now it is a direct violation of 404.14(E) to control a receptacle with a dimmer switch.
Don

Old 07-13-02, 01:38 PM
J
Don, isn't new2this's rope light a "permanently installed incandescent luminairy," even if it is cord-and-plug connected? Are "cord-and-plug connected" and "permanently installed" necessarily mutually exclusive?

Many garbage disposals are both permanently installed and cord-and-plug connected (but of course, they're not luminaries and you wouldn't want to put a dimmer on them anyway).

Old 07-13-02, 04:09 PM
R
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
John,
In my opinion a cord and plug connected light is not permentantly installed and the receptacle feeding it cannot be fed from a dimmer switch. Look at proposal 9-98 in the 2001 ROP and comment 9-43 in the 2001 ROC. It appears that the panel's intent was to prohibit a dimmer from feeding a receptacle.
The proposals are on line at:
http://www.nfpa.org/nec/TheNEC/ROPsR...PByArticle.asp
The comments are at:
http://www.nfpa.org/nec/TheNEC/ROPsR...CByArticle.asp

Don