outlet problems

Old 07-12-02, 10:46 AM
B
bos4me
Visiting Guest
Unhappy outlet problems

I just recently bought a house and I discovered that I have a few outlets that do not work. Unfortunatley it isn't something as simple as resetting a breaker. After taking the outlet out I discovered that it wasnt even connected. The wires are there, but they are not hot. What is the easiest way to figure out where the other end of those wires are?

Thanks for you help in adavance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-02, 11:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are a number of possibilities. In order to guess which are most probable, we could use some further information:
  • What rooms are these receptacles in? Bathrooms? Bedrooms? Kitchens?
  • How many is a "few"? Are they in the same area of the house?
  • What do you mean by not connected? Do you mean that the wires were not in physical contact with the receptacles?
  • How did you conduct the test to see if the wires were hot? What piece of test equipment did you use and how did you conduct the test?
  • In what year was your house built?
  • In what city do you live?

Old 07-12-02, 12:14 PM
B
bos4me
Visiting Guest
Sorry, guess I coulda included more info...ok here we go

The recipticals are in a upstairs bedroom...

There are three recipticals in the room, two do not work.

There are a another two reciptical's in a hall area that adjoins this bedroom. One works the other does not.

The wires were actually cut from the reciptical ( I only opened one box). So there is a small piece of wire attached to the reciptical, then another wire going into the wall.

I checked the wires with a fluke voltmeter. I had the meter in AC mode, and I used one lead to check each of the wires directly to the chasis of the reciptical (the metal box) using the other lead.

The house was built in early 1900's, but there have been several additions.....the most recent in the 1960's. I have all romex wires installed I belive, but the main service panel is a mess (very sloppy).

I live in Ipswich Mass..

Old 07-13-02, 06:32 AM
B
bos4me
Visiting Guest
any ideas?

Is there some kind of signal chaser to a non-powerd circuit that I can use to try to figure out where those wires are going to? W/o having to rip them out or tear apart my walls?

Old 07-13-02, 10:14 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow. What a mess.

All splices are supposed to be made in accessible boxes. So if this were true, you should be able to figure this out by opening up all accessible boxes and making tests with your meter. However, in houses this old, it's not uncommon to have hidden splices in the wall.

I'm afraid that your situation may be too complex to analyze over the net. At least for me. All I can say is "good luck."