wiring a phone jack for line 2

Old 06-26-00, 10:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

the house is already running with a second line. I need to make another jack in the house accept the second line. I am dealing with green, red, yellow and black. After examining the existing second line jack I proceeded to set the other jack in a similar pattern, nothing happened, a dead phone. I have moved the wires around in various combinations and still cannot get the second line to come through this jack, what gives?? I however am able to get line one to come through the jack with various wire color patterns, yet not line 2. The phone co.wants 75.00 to come out and make this phone jack line 2, that is CRAZY, help.

[This message has been edited by marcjc (edited June 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by marcjc (edited June 26, 2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-00, 08:46 PM
Visiting Guest
hello marcjc,
it only takes 2 wires to make a phone work. the standard is line 1 red and green, and line 2 yellow and black. now what u need to do is for line 2 to operate on a singel jack is connect the yellow and black wires to the red and green wires of the jack, and leave the red and green wires of the phone line disconected. u can wire a standard jack 4 2 phone lines but u must use a 2 line phone inorder for it to work on liine 2.

Old 06-26-00, 11:07 PM
Visiting Guest
rather than delete I thought I would relay my remedy to my challenge. I was under the assumption that all the phone jacks had been connected to the second line outside in the NID box. Since I was already using a second line on one jack in the house I thought all was ready to go for the other jacks. After checking the NID box I found there was only one jack, (the jack in use) connected to the second line so I connected all the remaining wires now making all the jacks in the house line two acceptable. thanks for your response sparky.

[This message has been edited by marcjc (edited June 27, 2000).]