lightin storm meltdown

Old 07-12-02, 05:47 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lightin storm meltdown

last sunday we had one of those afternoon heat storms. Well I lost three TV, refrigerator and the computer. computer was on surge protector. pole outside house took direct hit..

so now on new computer, needed an upgrade anyway.

question: How can I keep this from happen again. Can i get one of those big lever industrial cutoff switch box and just kill whole system?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-02, 05:59 PM
H
Hatteras
Visiting Guest
How did you loose your appliances? Lightning? Transient voltages can enter a system through the grounding conductors of a system so a large disconnect might not help. More details please.

Old 07-12-02, 06:53 PM
B
Do not really know. I disconnect cable and telephone wires, turn off the power switch of surge protector. seconds later ' BOOM" lightin hit power pole, computer fried, telephone line dead, three TV,refrigerator and all the circuit breakers on the subpanel in the garage was showing red lines. So I took a direct hit. Thank god the new house is almost finished.

Old 07-12-02, 11:25 PM
J
You know the old saying about lightning striking twice in the same place. I'd say just chalk it up to being rarely unlucky.

Old 07-13-02, 06:45 AM
G
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
There is nothing you can do to protect form a direct strike,
except for possibly fully unplugging everything (not just turning off)

Old 07-13-02, 07:35 AM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
John Nelson and Gary Tait said it well. It is often asked what can lightening do. Answer; just about anything it wants!

While we are succesful in containing some less powerful lightening strikes. Heavy direct hit lightening has capability of passing through the air long distances. If a direct strong hit of lightening hits you home with all switches, breakers, disconnects and even wires disconnected the lightening can pass through the air to bridge those open circuits.

If you get a light hit of lightening then the surge protectors, open switches and unplugged items can help protect.

If the lightening strike is strong enough even a piece of wood becomes a conductor of that much power. Then nothing you can do can protect yourself or your home from that strong of a lightening strike.

As John said consider yourself lucky although rarely unlucky in your experience. At least you are unhurt.

Wg