ceiling light installation

Old 06-27-00, 11:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I was trying to install a new ceiling light, and this light fixture comes with 1 white wire, 1 black wire and a ground wire. The ceiling outlet has a ground wire and 2 sets of wires : the first set has 3 wires (black, white and red), the other one has 2 (black and white). How should I connect the light fixture to these 5 wires? I've tried to connect all white wires together and black wires together, but the fixture stays on. How can I get the wall switch to work with the fixture?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-00, 04:29 PM
Visiting Guest
hello ziggy,
sounds like power is in the light box.
u r going to have to do some testing to determin which is power and which is switch leg. useing a meter place 1 leg on bare and 1 on each of the colors till u get reading this is power. the white that is in same cabel will be your nutural. now remove switch from wall and c what color wires r attached to the switch. connect the power to 1 of these and light black to other connect white of light to nutural. for future reference mark the wires as u remove them as to what color wire on light they attach to.

Old 09-03-05, 03:18 AM
crisis
Visiting Guest
hello ziggy,
sounds like power is in the light box.
u r going to have to do some testing to determin which is power and which is switch leg. useing a meter place 1 leg on bare and 1 on each of the colors till u get reading this is power. the white that is in same cabel will be your nutural. now remove switch from wall and c what color wires r attached to the switch. connect the power to 1 of these and light black to other connect white of light to nutural. for future reference mark the wires as u remove them as to what color wire on light they attach to.
I have the same problem as Ziggy, can you clarify how to see what is going to the switch? since everything is black and white how do you know? Can you also clarify in laymans terms which wires to test?

Thanks,

Old 09-03-05, 04:27 PM
When replacing a fixture, simply connect the new fixture exactly as the old one was connected.