Box for exposed outlet

Old 06-27-00, 04:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

After moving into a house I discovered that the outlet for the microwave is not in a box. It is just a standard outlet with a pair of 3 prong holes. The back of it is wrapped in electrical tape.
This is actually built into a cabinet and the wire enters the cabinet space from the top.
I want to add a box to enclose this and looking for suggestions.

I went by the hardware store to see what they had. The round edged handy box looked good, it had holes that I could use to screw it to the inside of the cabinet but it had 1/2 inch knockouts and I could only find 3/8 inch and 3/4 inch NM clamps to fit in the holes.
All the boxes that had integral clamps had screws that protuded out the back of the box so they could not be mounted to the cabinet.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-00, 01:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Keep looking (elsewhere). Find a box that you can mount to cabinet, clamp the incoming wire to box, and put cover on box. You 're right about not leaving that outlet just wrapped in electrical tape hanging loose. Not safe. Good Luck!

Old 06-28-00, 03:41 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Just_Lurking,
u have several ways to handel this.
1. install a cutin box with box suports or old work box, u will have to cut the cabanet as well as the wall.
2. use a handy box with a 3/8 romex clamp it is a 1/2" ko size
3. use a wiremold box with a 3/8 romex clamp
a 4 square box with a raised cover along with 3/8 romex clamp
what i would do is install the cut in box this is what i use on cabnet outlets. all u8 have to do is trace the box and cut it just slightly larger then traceing and install wire in box and place in wall.