Electrical outlet box

Old 06-28-00, 04:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

My microwave and toaster were plugged in to the outlet when during the operation of the two appliances the juice went dead. I looked for burned wire. NONE, replaced the outlets and added a ground wire. There was none before. Turned off and on the switch breaker and still no juice. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-00, 05:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hello John,

Well, you're certainly off to a good start.

To start, look for a tripped GFI upstream on the circuit. If none, then I suggest you check the breaker. IF (only if) you're familiar with the inside of the electrical panel...
1) main power off
2) remove panel deadfront--you'll see the main bus bars, ground bar, etc
3) cycle breaker (off-reset-on)
4) main on
5) measure voltage from breaker terminal to ground.

Breakers sometimes go bad.

Other possibilities are:
1. a loose neutral. The outlet you're testing may be hot, you can't tell because the neutral is open...Take an extension cord with known good ground and check voltage from your receptacle hot to the known ground. If 120v present, with main power off (and verified-both poles), snug down each of the wires on the ground/neutral bar.
2. the circuit is open at a receptacle upstream. Identify receptacles on same circuit, power off, open each receptacle and inspect/test. There may be junction boxes not obvious...

A nice half-day project! Good luck and work safe.

Old 06-29-00, 05:21 PM
Visiting Guest
You overloaded the circuit and tripped the breaker (or blew the fuse). The microwave should be on a dedicated circiut -- no other outlets on that circuit! That circuit does not need to hae GFCI protection. Pull in a new circuit for the microwave and all should be well.