romex around top plates

Old 07-13-02, 01:37 PM
R
reprosser
Visiting Guest
romex around top plates

In my (unfinished) basement, the walls studs are 9 ft with 3 2x4s on top. Due to support beams and ductwork, an 8 ft ceiling is the highest that could be installed - leaving a 15" gap between ceiling and bottom of floor joists.

Is it neccessary for me to drill through the 3 top plates to run romex between the wall studs from the joists, or can I tack the romex around the edge of the top plate and into the area between studs for outlets/switches ? (there are already a few runs like this to lights and switches that were installed before I bought the house)

If I install sheet rock later, it would only run up a little past the 8' mark, so there would be a large gap (12") from the top of sheetrock to the top of the wall studs where the romex is wrapped around the top plates.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-02, 04:26 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you have a space between you top plate and the floor joists above and if you have the space to enter the wall that will not be exposed when drywalled then you should be fine to enter the wall space without drilling the top plates.

Wg

Old 07-13-02, 05:33 PM
R
reprosser
Visiting Guest
Great, I think

Check photo to verify (existing run)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43541225udQnzU

The joists sit on the top plate, but there is space between the joists to run the romex.

Thanks

Old 07-14-02, 12:13 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If that ceiling is installed below where you entered the stud space and this is just a void area between the ceiling and the floor joists above you did fine.

Wg

Old 07-14-02, 02:14 PM
R
reprosser
Visiting Guest
That's it. Great !

Thanks

Old 07-15-02, 12:40 PM
M
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Unhappy What about unfinished attic, WG??

I ran few Romex through unfinished attic without drilling holes through ceiling joists. They run parallel/perpendicular to joists and laid flat. Is this legal?? or do I need to run'em through joists?? I didn't tack them down since attic is not considered a living space. Is this acceptable??

Old 07-15-02, 03:20 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
MasterJoe, while the NEC requriers all Romex cable to be secured anywhere at least every 4 1/2 feet many jurisdictions do not require the stapling in attics. Check with your local electrical inspector to see if he or she requires securing of Romex in your are in the attic.

Wg