polarity

Old 07-13-02, 03:30 PM
J
jjim
Visiting Guest
polarity

Hi, I have had a central hvac system installed in my home. The contractor tested the heating portion of the unit, it fired up o.k but within a few seconds it shut down, another attempt did the same thing. The installer unplugged the unit, turned the plug over and inserted in the outlet so the ground was not plugged in the outlet. The unit fired up and kept running. I was told that the outlet the unit was plugged into had the wrong polarity. Later I tested the outlet with an outlet tester and it tested correctly wired. Does that mean the polarity is correct? or is there another test for polarity? In the hvac manual it noted that an updraft unit may need to have the units polarity changed by changing the wires on the interior wireblock. I was tempted to try that but did not want to risk voiding any warranties and wanted to find out about the polarity of my outlets before calling the installer to have him change the polarity on the unit.

Thanks for your help.

jjim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-02, 04:30 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Hvac, are you meaning the central a/c unit or the heating or air handler unit. Are you dealing with a 220 volt a/c unit A 120 volt air handler, A 220 volt air handler?

Need the above info plus the full load current rating of the unit and the voltage rating of the unit. Then we may be of some help to you.

Wg