A long day

Old 07-13-02, 05:48 PM
J
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
A long day

I have always thought that homeowners should be allowed to work on there own wiring.

It has taken a long time for me to change my mind. I was assuming that they would just change outlets and switches. WRONG.

We (our church) recently purchased a farm for future explanation. It came with a nice two story (circa 1800ís). I when over just to look the place over. LOL. Where do I start?

1. No bonding of ANY metal piping.

2. Open boxes throughout the basement.

3. 2 prongs switched to 3 prongs. No ground. No GFCI.

4. NMB out a basement window (to who knows where).

5. Panel maxed with a half a dozen tandems.

6. Those tandems (half) double tapped.

7. Outlets hidden behind cabinets.

8. Flying spices.

9. Well pump feed by a single 20 amp on one side. The other was feed from a double tapped tandem on the other side.

10. Dishwasher, disposal, hood fan tapped of a lighting circuit.

OK Iíll stop here.

No out side:

1. A 30 amp feeds the following: a. A small shed with triplex. The ground wire is wrapped around the tri in the air and does not go into the shed. b. Only the two legs go in????
2. Goes to a barn in triplex. Lighting and outlets tapped outside.
3. At this same tap is a tap that goes to a 4-car garage. It goes through the alum soffit with no protection.
4. At the garage feed from the barn, feed from the house 30-amp breaker is a 100-amp sub. It has 6 20 circuits plus a 40 amp heater circuit.

There is more. Now to my point.

I was there to help set up for a hog roast. I got there at 9:00AM.

At the garage they (the church members) wanted to plug in 2 refrig. a popcorn machine, an ice cone machine, several crock pots, 3 heat pans, a blower(using an old fan motor, not grounded), stereo equipment, and lighting.

Oh I forgot. A guy showed up with a blow-up tramp machine (enclosed type) that had 2, Ĺ hp motors.

They wanted to know why they could not hook all this up.

Needless to say they did not listen. When one of the breakers tripped and I said unplug one thing, they did. And after the breaker was reset, tried to plug that device back in.

Anyway it is now after 8:00 PM. Thanx for letting me vent.

PS I did not tell you about the guy who wanted to power wash the barn floor. An electric power washer plugged in at the barn. I had my wife bring my gas powered and had to shut the electric to the barn off.

Does anyone care if I have a beer now?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-02, 06:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most people dont do things that way on their own property and the ones that do would do it anyway,,, even if there was a law. I just saw a little sub panel with 4 violations. What are you gonna do,,, ???

Old 07-13-02, 07:51 PM
T
tonyz
Visiting Guest
i thought the little problems i have had with my first house were bad, you make me feel good.....lol