underground electricity

Old 07-14-02, 05:56 AM
gramdonner
Visiting Guest
Unhappy underground electricity

My husband wants to run the electricity from the meter pole to our house, underground, any info would help, wire size, etc. we need to go 120 ft.thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-02, 08:58 AM
LouieS
Visiting Guest
Your local utility service planner should have those answers. Here in the LA area no one else can answer but the planner. The service planner sizes the conduit and feeder cables by the service size you are installing with usually a 3" minimum but some service planners start with 2.5" minimum. Electricians buy and install the conduit and service equipment and the the service feeder cables normally belong to the utility and are installed by their crew. They ask for a pull rope to be in the conduit. Lately they also ask that a mandrel be passed thought the conduit while they watch to assure that the conduit was properly built and is clean.

Old 07-14-02, 02:03 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I am a bit confused, do you have a meterbase on a pole and a main service disconnect on that pole then you house remote from that pole service?

If you have this pole service is it existing or explain why you didn't just mount your meterbase on the house and let the power company come to your house with their power?

Curious

Wg

Old 07-14-02, 02:18 PM
gramdonner
Visiting Guest
Smile electrical

we r in the process of moving to a new place, we have to put the meter pole in, and I think that there is a shut off on the meter, it's a new constuction, the service is not on yet, and because we r counting pennies, we r trying to do what we can for ourselves.The pole is about 120 ft. from where our trailor will sit andunderground is saving alot of trees,it's in the country and we have to get these things done by the 28th, our house sold so fast that we r in a rush. We thought that we would have a couple months to have them done, well, sepic, and elec. Thanks for your reply

Old 07-14-02, 03:15 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Gramdonner, Now we are seeing a better picture but not enough to help you fullly yet. You said you are not in the country. If this mobile home is in a mobile home park most likely you have a mobile home park service set to serve you mobile home lot. Is this the case?

Tell us if you are on privat land or on a mobile home park lot.

Have you confirmed that your jurisdiction allows you to do this work. If not that is your first criteria as a must. Some areas forbid electrical work to be done unless by a licensed electrician.

Have you talked to your code enforcement division to confirm you can legally do this project without an electrical license?

Tell us the above then we may be able to provide some help.

Mobile homes have their own set of rules. ON a private lot often times you may treat the mobile home same as a stick built home. Often times whether on a mobile home park lot of private land you will be requried to install what is called a mobile home serive remote from the mobile home. We need your local electrical inspector and Utility company to confirm whether you can mount your meter on your mobile home or if you must have a remote mobile home service pedistal then a feeder from it to your mobile home. They are the only ones that can tell us of your local requirements on teh subject of mobile homes. IN the NEC it clearly states that it is up to you AHJ [electrical inspector] whether you can mount on the mobile home or must have a remote mobile home service pedistal. This is their call on where the meter must be set. If you are allowed to mount the meter on the mobile home often times it is cheaper to set the meter on the home then let the power company eat any voltage drop or underground leakage of power.

Wg

Old 07-14-02, 04:37 PM
gramdonner
Visiting Guest
Smile electricity

We are located in the country, we have 3.5 acers, I think it is set like a reg. house, without my husband here to confirm though I'm guessing. It was hooked up for elec. where it was at before, and that was in the country too. This stuff gets complicated for me, my hubby usally gets back in town about dark. I'll ask him to see about how it goes on the trailor, but the meter pole is 120ft down the hill and he doesnt want to cut the trees to go above ground, trying to get the place declared a tree reserve, so we need to keep all the trees we can, plus more to plant.Ya know my in-laws had thier trailor hooked up like a reg. house so I'm betting we dont need the thing u were talking about I'm sorry I'm so dense about this and will confrim with hubby. Thanks for your time and replys

Old 07-14-02, 04:43 PM
gramdonner
Visiting Guest
Smile electricity

I just remembered the man from the power company told hubby that after they put elec. to the meter pole he didnt care about after, does that help

Old 07-15-02, 03:43 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you have not installed the meter pole and had it energized yet now is the time to do your research.

Look in the trailer and see what size main breaker it has. Then if you are setting this trailer on a permenant foundation call your local electrical inspector and see if he or she has a rule against mounting your meter base on the trailer. If the inspector has no problem with this mounting the meter base on the home then call you power company and ask if there are any construction charges if you opted ot install your meter base on your home for an underground service.

Often times the power company will install an underground service to your home with no overhead wires if requested. They usually will take 2 years of your expected electric bills off the cost of running power to your home as a credit to your construction charges and placing hte meter base on the home. This way they are responsible for mainainence on the underground lines and any voltage drop to your home.

Check to see if they will run the underground service lateral to you home mounted meterbase. Then if they will ask what they would charge to do that. Then you can price out a remote service as you originally were thinking and make an informed decision as to which way you should go. Suspect you will find yourself better off if you can mount that meter base on your home.

If you are pricing installing a feeder from a remote pole service to you home at you cost then you should figure on pricing 4/0 URD aluminum or 3/0 copper USE between the meterbase and the home if 200 amp rated panel in your home.

You should price 2 awg copper URD or 1/0 aluminum USE for the feeder between the meter base and the home if you install this feeder from a remote service pole. Don't forget to price the cost of the trenching also in your installation charges.

Either way you are responsible for the wires between your meter base and your home.

Do your research now so that you can make an informed decision what you best options are.

Let us know what you find out

Wg