Wall mounted bathroom exhaust fan

Old 07-14-02, 08:01 AM
D
dilybe
Visiting Guest
Wall mounted bathroom exhaust fan

I have 2 bathrooms w/o exhaust fans. Both have outside walls and cathedral ceilings (no attic). Both have overhead lights controlled with wall switches.
I would like to put wall mounted exhaust fans in both. Is this a project a typical, semi-handy home owner can do? The parts that scare me are cutting a hole in the wall of my house and wiring the fans.
Thanks for your support!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-02, 09:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Typically, this should not be that difficult. Most exhaust fans have a template for the size of the hole to be cut. I know that the ones in Home Depot provide such a template. Then, using a standard wallboard saw, it should not be too difficult. Nice and neat, just cut slowly. You may want to check, however, how you are venting this fan. Just venting the fan into the wall may not be enough, and you may be sending all the moisture in the bathroom behind the sheetrock of your wall, which could lead to more problems. Perhaps, running it to the roof of the attic or even a closet would be better if you can. As far as the wiring goes, is there anything else on the circuit with the lights?? If you wire to the lights, it will go on whenver you turn on the lights, and you will not have iindependent control. Just something to think about....good luck....

Old 07-14-02, 09:47 AM
B
bos4me
Visiting Guest
Hello........I have the same basic situation. 2 bathrooms no exhaust fans and no attic. One bathroom is downstairs one is up stairs.

I have been trying to decide wich type of fan to use myself...wall or ceiling. I think ceiling would be more benifical (Should get more moisture out..esp if over the shower area ..will require GFCI ckt...or near shower area), but it would also be more difficult because of the limited access. Plus, for me I have no current over head lighting.

If you are going with the wall mount it should be very simple to vent it directly to the outside. It don't think you should do it any other way...why install it if your not going to vent it outside?

As far as the electrical side it just depends on if you want the fan to always be on when the light is on. If not then you will have to consider some other options.

I have found a humidty sensing fan..........it will auto turn on for user defined levels of humidity, or for a rise in humidity over a short period of time.

This is probably what I am going to do since I dont want the fan running everytime the light is on, and since I rent space in the house I wont have to worry about the people when they take a shower, not turning the fan on if a run a seperate switch.

Sorry if I lost track of the original question......just throwing in my 2c's......should be a simple job....hardest part will be running the wire!

Good luck

Tom

Old 07-15-02, 05:08 AM
D
dilybe
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Jason & Tom. I should have told you I wanted to vent the fan through the wall to the outside. With no attic or access from above I'm thinking I'd rather cut a hole in the wall than the roof.
In one bathroom having the fan go on with the light wouldn't be a problem, but the other one I'd rather have it operate independently. In the second, there's an outlet (hot all the time, not connected to light switch) in addition to the light-could I run wiring off the outlet? Maybe I should just break down and pay a pro to wire for me.
Thanks for the responses! I love doing this stuff, just need someone to tell me when to stop and when to go sometimes.

Old 07-15-02, 05:34 AM
N
Nickkkkkkkk
Visiting Guest
I'm intrested in the humidity sensing fan that bos4me mentioned. Sounds like a good idea. Who is the manufacturer? Where do you get such a fan?

Old 07-15-02, 12:42 PM
B
bos4me
Visiting Guest
Dilybe,

Hope it all turns out well for yeah.......Just to let you know.....I'm going to do the ceiling mount...but Im not gonna cut any holes in my roof......gonna vent it out the side of the house. Let me know how it turns out!

Nickkkkkkk...below is the link....I also found out that those models do include dapmers. (doesn't mention them on the web site so I e-mailed and asked).......Let me know what you think

http://www.airshack.com/html/ventila..._features.html

Old 07-15-02, 12:44 PM
N
Nickkkkkkkk
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Old 07-17-02, 05:00 AM
D
dilybe
Visiting Guest
Good luck on the ceiling mount-wall vent fan, Tom, and thanks for the help.