Aluminum vs copper wiring

Old 07-01-00, 01:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi, first let me thank you for this great site. It is wonderful.

My house is 30 years old and has aluminum wiring. I have always been careful to keep the connections tight and am aware of the particular outlets etc. for aluminum wiring. My question is this: I am enlarging an entry hall and wish to move the existing wall switch and outlets to a location about 3-4 ft from the present location (onto another wall). I am unable to find aluminum wiring. Can I "splice" or "pigtail" copper wiring to the aluminum wiring using wire nuts and electrical tape at the connection? Incidentally, I have told by an electrician that I could "pigtail" my outlets this way for additional safety with the problem of copper vs aluminum connections. I am unable to afford an electrician to rewire the entire house and I am doing this project myself. Can you help with this problem?

Can you reply to my Email address also? Thank you so much.

Geri Young
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-00, 11:17 PM
Visiting Guest
I don't like to hear of any Al wire used in branch circuits throughout the house. However, do not use typical wirenuts or just electrical tape. They make special Al-Cu connectors. If your local hardware store doesn't carry them, go to an electrical contractor and have them order some for you. Also only splice the wires in a covered junction box that you will have access to in the future(NEC).