Auto-shutoff light switch

Old 07-01-00, 09:31 PM
Visiting Guest
I just moved into a house where the previous owner installed some motion-detector driven auto-shutoff lightswitches in bathrooms.
My problem is that I have not figured out a way to turn that feature off since it becomes nuisance when the light goes off when you are in the middle of a shower. Or there does not seem to have any settings where you can change the timer so that it goes off after a certain amount of time is passed.
I know it is off the wall kind of question, but can anyone shed light on this situation? The switches only have one button and a sensor. You can turn the light on, which starts the motion detector, or off. Anyone has experience with these type of switches?
Do I need to replace those switches to have a control back?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-00, 11:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Usually on those type of switches, if you pop the front plate off, they have setting switches or an adjustment screw on them depending on the brand. As an electrician, I've only installed them in commercial applications, but I guess if the kids always forgot to turn lights off, they may come in handy.

Old 07-02-00, 10:57 AM
Visiting Guest
I've not put one of these in a residence, but one thing you can try is what works with nearly all of the exterior motion sensing lights:

Turn the light on, then off for a 3 count, then back on. On all the exterior types, this bypasses the motion sensing mechanism, leaving the light on until you turn the switch off, or you repeat the sequence to turn the sensor back on.