Blown (BOOM!) fluorscent fixture

Old 07-02-00, 11:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Until recently we have had a strange intermittent problem with our fluorescent light fixture in the kitchen ceiling (2 8-ft bulbs in ceiling box). Every evening around the same time the entire fixture would go out. It would usually go back on in an hour or so. There was no buzzing or flickering when they were on. Finally one night while they were only on a minute or two (and flickering this time) the bulbs blew with a flash - it sounded like breaking glass, but they didn't shatter.

In looking at the fixture, it has a single white box running down the center (buried under an oak trim) with metal boxes extending at each end. We don't know how old the fixture is or if we can get another one to fit in the box the way this one does.
Should we just tear it all out and replace the whole thing? Anything we should watch out for? (besides live wires!)

Thanks. lcw

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-00, 01:35 PM
Visiting Guest
I would suggest that you replace the fixture. My suggestion is to put 2 four foot light strips in its place. Will probably cost less to buy 2 four foot fixtures than to buy one 8 foot, and the tubes are much easier to transport and change.

Old 07-02-00, 08:22 PM
Visiting Guest
I believe that I would replace the ballast first try.(cheaper than a new fixture) along with two new bulbs. Very easy repair. You'll need 4-6 wirenuts, along with some simple tools. No need to replace the whole fixture.