light in shed

Old 07-14-02, 05:54 PM
D
daz4406
Visiting Guest
Question light in shed

I have ran 12/2 underground to my shed first going to outlet (works) then to a 4ft florecent light (works) then from there goes to another shed which is butted up to the other shed to another outlet (works) fed power to a switch to fed another 4ft florecent
all works fine except the last florecent will not come on.
I'm getting power to the light when I turn on the switch, changed
ballest and bulbs and all is grounded. 120 throught out the circuit.
anyone have any suggestion or ideas.

Thanks daz4406

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-02, 06:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a bad fixture. I'd exchange it. Or you could swap it for the other fixture to see if it works there.

Of course it's possible that you wired it wrong. If you want us to speculate on that possibility, tell us about all the connections you made.

Old 07-14-02, 07:31 PM
D
daz4406
Visiting Guest
forgive me if my wording is not correct been awhile since I've done any electrical. I have the black wire feeding
the outlet jumpered to the light switch that is the only jumper
between the 2. On the switch the white wire is feeding back to
the light to power it up when the switch is in the on position.
the outlet works fine and the switch seems to be working I checked with volt meter and could watch the power turn off and on with the switch. I have change everything out except the contacts the tubes fit in quess that will be next.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-02, 08:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did not understand what you said, and I'm not sure what you described is correct. Is the receptacle in the same box as the switch? Does the light in the first shed have a switch too?

Assuming the receptacle and switch are not in the same box, you should have run a cable from the receptacle to the switch, and another cable from the switch to the light. At the switch, each black wire attaches to one of the screws on the switch and the white wires are attached to each other. When the power comes to the switch before the light, there should not be a white wire attached to the switch.

There are about 100 other codes that apply to the work you did, so I hope you followed them. Where did you put the GFCI protection? Did you use UF or NM cable? How deep did you bury it? If in conduit, what size and type? How often did you staple the cable and how close to each box? How is the cable protected inside the shed? How is it protected where it enters and exits the ground? What is the size of the breaker? Is all the wire 12-gauge? How many cubic inches are your boxes? Do you know how to compute box fill? What is the total distance of the cable? Did you compute the voltage drop over your run? Did you use the correct size wire nut for each connection? How did you connect the grounding wires to each other and to the receptacles and switches?

You don't need to answer the questions above, but if you don't already know the correct answers to them all, then your installation may not be safe. I'm sure you don't want that. Do some more research and/or ask some more questions.

Old 07-14-02, 09:05 PM
D
daz4406
Visiting Guest
short answer to all your questions:

I took a 2 years electrical course at a local tech. college
so I am aware of all the codes, used #12/2 copper uf cable
18 inchs min. about 100 ft to both sheds gfci at first outlet no need for other gfci ran in conduit to second shed so on and so on. just been about 3 years since I applied any of the training and I do not use it in my current line of work unfortuntly
I have pulled out a couple of my books and I believe that I
my have wired the switch wrong will be checking into this
tommorrow. no I did not compute the distance should have but did not but 100ft should be fine no major loads just 2 lights and
the outlets there for radio.

Thanks for you time