Making Halogen Lights brighter

Old 07-06-00, 11:16 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a curio with two 20 watt halogen lamps. The lamps have a fixed output and share the same wires. The problem is that they emit the light source of approximately a 5watt bulb. The lamps were manufactured in Italy and I had to change the plug to use here in the US. What gives? Is there any way to make them brighter.

Old 07-06-00, 12:11 PM
Visiting Guest
If it had the original Italian (two round
prongs, I think) plug, than it is meant to
run on 220V.

You have 3 choices to remedy the problem;

Wire up a 220V recpticle for the fixtures,
or get a step up transformer, both which have
issues since the fixture is probably not
approved for domestic use.

The best way is to go to a lighting shop here, and get comparable fixtures, bulbs, and
wiring, which will be approved.

Old 07-06-00, 12:15 PM
Visiting Guest
You apparently have a fixture designed for 220 volts which you have modified so you can connect it to 110. By reducing the voltage by half, you have reduced the current by half, and thus the power to a fourth. Your observation that it had the output of a 5 watt bulb is quite perceptive.

So now what? (1) Plug into 220 volts -- it's unlikely you have a 220 volt outlet nearby. (2) Throw this lamp away and go buy a 110 volt fixture. (3) Try to find a bulb designed for 110 volts that fits (this latter option seems unwise, since this will double the amps in the wire over the design point and you'll probably burn your house down).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: