Running wire underground to a shed

Old 07-15-02, 02:51 PM
timgeorge
Visiting Guest
Running wire underground to a shed

My brother is having a shed built in the corner of his yard and would like to run power out to it. It would obviously be preferable to run the lines underground.

Here are the specifics as I understand them. He'd like to have a light fixture and an electric outlet. The outlet would be for a blower-vac in the spring-summer, and a battery-tender in the winter. I believe the shed will be about 50-75 feet directly from the house. (about 100 ft if you went 90 degrees to the fence line and then down to the shed)

What size wire will he need to run?

What kind of conduit should be used?

Does code require a certain buried depth?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-02, 04:30 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You should be able to install 12/2wGrnd UF cable directly from a 20 amp single pole breaker in your house main panel through the house into the earth buried a minimum of 18" deep to the shed with a single pole switch that will shut that power off to the shed from in the shed. then run your circuit in you shed. Don't forget to protect all receptacles by a GFI breaker or receptacle. If you have rocks in your trench back fill with sand or protect from damage by PVC conduit. No ground rod required in this wiring style at your shed due to only a single branch circuit serving the shed. Refer to NEC 250.32 exception for the rule that applies on grounding and branch circuit conductor design.

HOpe this helps

Wg

Old 07-16-02, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to point out that with 12/2 wire, and 100 feet of run length your voltage at your plug will be: about 5 volts less than 110V for a 12 amp device (about what a shop-vac would be).

If you use flourescent lights they may not work during large current pulls. Also, an Air Compressor could pull even more current. If you ever plan on using anything with heavy loads, it may be worth it to run larger wire like 10/2 with gnd, or even 8. If its just a light bulb and a blower the 12/2 wire should be perfect. I just wanted to mention this in case you thought you may use it for any other applications.