Converting a 220-volt circuit to 2 110-circuits

Old 07-06-00, 02:11 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an existing 220-volt circuit that I do not use or need. Is it possible to have this circuit converted to two 110-volt circuits?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-00, 02:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes. You will need to replace the 220v breaker with two 110v breakers. You will then have what's known as a "three-wire circuit". One of your two 110v circuits will use the black and white wires, the other will use the red and white wires. Make sure you choose the correct size breakers for the wire you have.

Old 07-06-00, 04:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Joe,
JohnNelson is assuming you are talking about either a range or dryer 220 circuit. You don't spell out what kind of 220 you are converting. The above two are the only two that can be converted to two 110 circuits because they have a neutral present. All other 220 circuits can only be converted to (1) 110 volt circuit using the existing wires.
And just for your information, you cannot use a ground for a neutral whether covered or bare.

Old 09-11-07, 04:37 PM
220 outlet to 2 110 outlets

I want to convert a 220 outlet to three 4-box outlets. My question is how do I wire the three new boxes. Can I wire them all of off the original 220 (in a junction box) directly or do they need to be pigtailed, one from another or some other way?

I already know that I need to rewire the breaker box from one 220 breaker to 2 110 breakers.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Chrisxx
[email address removed]

Old 09-11-07, 04:42 PM
Email addresses are not allowed in posts, nor is is a wise thing to do.

You still have not answered the question.

Is this a 240 circuit, or a combination 120/240?

A 240 volt circuit cannot be converted to two 120 volt circuits.

A 120/240 volt circuit can be converted.

To answer the question, tell us how many wires (and what type, size and color) are used.

Old 09-11-07, 04:54 PM
racraft,

This is the first time I've been here....thanks for the tip. I haven't actually been asked a question...I was asking one for the first time.

It has 4 wires; one bare ground, one black, one white and one very dark pink. It was formerly used for a hot tub.

Thanks again,

chrisxx

Old 09-11-07, 06:15 PM
A four wire circuit can be converted into a multi-wire circuit. The white wire is used for the neutral for both circuits. The ground wire is used for both circuits. The black wire supplies the hot for one circuit and the red supplies the hot for the other circuit.

I recommend that you keep a 240 volt breaker. Make it either a 15 amp or a 20 amp one, assuming the wire is at least 12 gage (which it undoubtedly is, since a hot tub was in place).

To avoid pitfalls of a multi-wire circuit, replace the existing receptacle with a junction box and branch both circuits from there, using appropriate sized wire (12 or 14 gage).

Old 09-11-07, 06:27 PM
220 outlet to Multiple 110 outlets...

racraft,

Thanks for the info.

I want to put one 4-outlet box directly above the junction an run the other two left & right down the wall. That's a total of three 4-outlet boxes. After the middle box is wired from the source, how should the left/right boxes be wired? Can they both be wired directly from the middle outlet box without pigtailing or do they need to be wired first to the left, then from the left to the right (or some other way)?

Thanks for your patience!

chrisxx