Grounding older home


Old 07-02-00, 01:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Is it possible to ground the outlets in an older home (1950)without ripping out the walls? If not, I will be stripping a couple of rooms down to the studs later this year for renovation -- can a ground and new wiring be run from the electrical box, through the crawl space (overhead), and dropped down through the walls to replace the wiring that already exists in just those two rooms? I'd like to put better wiring in for a computer, and safety outlets in the bath.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-00, 01:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Yes, you can rewire the outlets in the two rooms fairly easily, if you're stripping the rooms down to the studs. Use 12/2 with ground from the panel to your outlets, and replace outlets with 3-prong outlets. Black wire (hot) goes to brass screw on outlets, white (neutral) goes to silver screw on outlets, bare wire (ground) goes to green screw. Run wire from panel to first outlet, and then just run from outlet to outlet. Your bathroom should have ground fault circuit interrupter outlets (gfci). You can put a gfci outlet in the first one, run others off of it, and that will make all outlets past it gfci, or you can put a gfci breaker in the panel for the bathroom circuit. Good Luck!
Old 07-04-00, 07:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Most code states that the bathroom GFCI must
be on it's own 20A circuit.
Old 07-06-00, 10:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Thanks. I won't be doing it myself, but need to learn more about the possibilities. My electrician grumbles when I ask about it and tells me it will be incredibly expensive and difficult to put in a ground and new wire. Maybe I need a new electrician? He mentioned $3-4 per foot. Is that a lot? Also, does that charge apply to a length of wire that runs through a crawl space TO the wall, or only once its dropped down to the outlet boxes?

One other question -- I've read that a ground has to be attached to something other than an old water line -- is a pipe usually put in the ground, on the roof, or what?

Old 07-07-00, 08:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I don't know about electrician rates in your area, but I would get at least three bids (make sure that the bids are for the same exact work to compare apples to apples). Your entire panel should be grounded to an outside ground rod by the elcetrician, if it is not, as he adds the cicuits with ground. Should run 12/2 with ground and 20 amp breaker for outlets, 14/2 with ground and 15 amp breaker for lights, and bathroom, kitchen and outside outlet circuits should be ground fault circuit interrupt (gfci). Good Luck!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: