loose connection in junction box

Old 07-15-02, 06:55 PM
S
soccermomm
Visiting Guest
Question loose connection in junction box

I have found out that a loose connection may exist in a junction box that is in a bathroom wall behind a mirror permanently affixed to a wall with a frame nailed around it. I just had the bathroom redone last year. Is it really necessary to go to the trouble of fixing it since it is now not affecting anything? It is a steel box...is there a risk of fire? I hate to spend a lot of $$ to repair this if it isn't causing any problems and is not a fire risk. Please let me know what I should do! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-02, 07:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just out of curious,,, how do you know its loose and why isnt it affecting anything? It must be a problem of sorts or you wouldnt be concerned. What does it go to?

Old 07-15-02, 08:52 PM
M
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking The other side

Soccermom,
I agree that you should be absolutely sure that a loose connection does indeed exist in that particular box. If your troubleshooting leads to that conclusion, there's another way to get to it other than ripping a perfectly OK mirror aprat from the wall.
You could open up the other side of wall in order to get to that junction box, pending you know the accurate location of it.
I'm not sure what's on the other side of your mirrored wall, but anything costs less and requires less trouble than ripping the mirrors.
Good luck.

Old 07-16-02, 06:20 AM
H
Hatteras
Visiting Guest
Soccermom - 370-29 of the NEC states: "Conduit bodies, junction, pull, and outlet boxes shall be so installed that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building..."

Hatteras

Old 07-16-02, 11:08 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
Curious here as well. You say that you found out that a loose connection may exist in this junction box....How did you find that out???? Was there some kind of problem????

To comply with the NEC you could do as suggested....open the wall on the opposite side and once you do you can correct any incorrect or faulty wiring and at the same time you could make that box face the wall that you just opened and put a blank cover over it so it is accessible as the code requires.

Old 07-16-02, 06:31 PM
S
soccermomm
Visiting Guest
Question loose connection in junction box

I lost electric to 3 outlets in one room. There is a junction box in the crawl space under this room which the electrician got to work again but he says that the problem was not in this box. He traced the line to where it goes up into a wall which he determined was in the bathroom. I recently had the bathroom redone and I know that behind the mirror is an old junction box where a light used to be attached. He thinks the loose connection is probably in there. I told him that many years ago there was a problem with another light on this same circuit and the problem was a loose wire in this box. He thinks it wasn't fixed right then and got loose again. However, right now everything is working again so do I look for the problem or leave well enough alone until it maybe happens again?? I hate to destroy the beautiful bathroom I just had done if I don't have to. Thanks for the reply!!

Old 07-16-02, 07:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the electrician disconnect all the wires taking power to that box behind the mirror, then you may safely ignore it. However, if there is still live power in that box, then it is a fire hazard that must be fixed. But you can fix it simply by disconnecting the other end of all the wires that feed that box. When the box is dead, the hazard is gone.

Old 07-16-02, 07:56 PM
H
Hatteras
Visiting Guest
Soccermom - You know, a fire could also destroy that "beautiful bathroom"...along with your house and possibly your family as well. Don't screw around with this. Like the man said, de-energize that box and the hazard is gone or expose the box and fix the loose connection. You should then relocate the box. A loose connection creates sparks and resistance. Resistance causes heat. Enough heat can melt the insulation off wires. You don't want that to hapen so get it fixed.

Hatteras