Install Garbage Disposal

Old 07-16-02, 07:55 AM
mloman
Visiting Guest
Install Garbage Disposal

Hi. I want to install a garbage disposal (fresh install, not a replacement) and want some advice about the wiring. I have a 20 amp circuit (#12 wiring) running to the area under my sink - there are no other appliances on this line.

I need to run the wire to a switch (under my sink & mounted on the inside of the cabinet). Is it Ok to use a metal switch box under the sink? or should I use a watertight plastic switch box (the kind that people use outdoors)? Also, what should I use to cover the cord going from the switch to the disposal, and the cord running from the hole in the floor to the switch?

I understand basic electricity and wiring, but I'm unfamiliar with electrical codes. I want to make sure I do this right!

One more thing, what is the greatest horespower disposal I can install on this line?

Old 07-16-02, 09:14 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
You should couver both with flex conduit.

Old 07-16-02, 11:30 AM
mloman
Visiting Guest
Can I use a metal switch box, or should I use plastic?

Old 07-16-02, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Either box is fine, and you don't even need a GFCI outlet under a sink.
If you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit (a dedicated 15 amp circuit is usually required for a dishwasher), you should be able to run just about any residential disposal on it (as well as a dishwasher).
Check the electrical specs on the disposal or the info sheet that comes with it. Should be no problem with a 20 amp circuit.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 07-17-02, 06:26 AM
Hatteras
Visiting Guest
A 20 amp, 120 volt circuit is good for 2400 watts (amps times volts = watts.) 746 watts = 1 HP so your 20 amp circuit is more than adequate to handle a agrbage disposer.

Hatteras

Old 07-19-02, 07:14 AM
mloman
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, I finished the installation and it works wonderfully.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: