How to pull the meter to change out the meter box.

Old 07-05-00, 08:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Dear Sprky, I have a frayed and decaying cable coming into the meter box. The local utility will be replacing it. Unfortunately they tell me my meter box is too old and small to accept the new cable and I need a new one that they will supply. I'd love to be able to change out that meter socket myself.
I'd put on some rubber boots, break the utility company seal and pull out the meter. Is it that simple to remove the meter? Does that also interrupt the flow of electricity so that you can run a new service entrance cable up from the panel to the new meter box? It would be going in a slightly different location. This scenario would have the wires at the top of the meter box live of course. As that noromally how it is? I would appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-00, 09:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Good news, bad news here. The local utility CANNOT (by law) connect the wires to your new meter socket until it has been "green tagged" by you local bldg. dept. You will have to have a bldg. permit to change out the meter socket, and it will have to be inspected BEFORE power can be hooked to it. You can do the work yourself, and as long as it passes the inspection, you'll get your power. The bad news is that UNTIL it passes inpection, you WON'T get your power switched over.If you are 100% confident in your ability to rewire all that needs to be rewired according to current, local codes, then go get your permit and get with it.Just remember, the bldg. inspector is the one who has the final word. You can argue with him until you're blue in the face, but until you do things HIS way, you won't get your power! My suggestion, would be to hire a licensed contractor to do the work, and chances are you will have your power the same day. Try it yourself, and there is the possibility you could be without power for a week, or more. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old meter box:
Dear Sprky, I have a frayed and decaying cable coming into the meter box. The local utility will be replacing it. Unfortunately they tell me my meter box is too old and small to accept the new cable and I need a new one that they will supply. I'd love to be able to change out that meter socket myself.
I'd put on some rubber boots, break the utility company seal and pull out the meter. Is it that simple to remove the meter? Does that also interrupt the flow of electricity so that you can run a new service entrance cable up from the panel to the new meter box? It would be going in a slightly different location. This scenario would have the wires at the top of the meter box live of course. As that noromally how it is? I would appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-06-00, 10:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I changed out my panel when I bought my house. Got an owner/builer permit and than called my brother the electrian. There are a lot of small details that I would have never known. I now have a new 200 amp service.
P.S. it took all day for a pro to fix everything.

Old 07-10-00, 10:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I just had the serviced upgraded at my house from 60AMP fused to 200 amp on breakers. The electrician replaced the outside meter box, the inside panel and the main feed from the weatherhead down and the feed from the meter box into the main breaker box in the house. Pulling the meter will disconnect the breaker box from the meter box. The total cost of all this with two guys working on it was $1100 for labor and materials ( I bought the breaker box myself earlier) They took about 4 hours between the two guys to do the work so power was only down for those four hours. I was never able to find out if it is OK for a homeowner to work on the meter / breaker box section of things. I have been doing work after the breaker box in the house myself though. If you are just replacing the feed from the meter box to the breaker box you should be safe just by pulling the meter - the previous poster is probably correct in his time estimate though - the inspector didn't show up for a week after the job was done to give his final OK. The other source for good info is to call your electric company - hard to get a hold of the right person but I found somebody who spelled it all out for me.