wiring for kiln

Old 07-18-00, 01:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

i am trying to figure out what kind of ceramic kiln to purchase, and since my house only has 120 wiring, my choices are limited. i have heard it is possible to use two outlets at once to upgrade to 220/240. is this safe and/or possible? how can i tell from my breaker box what amps are for what outlets and what number corresponds?

Old 07-18-00, 02:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi spenscr,

First, I find it almost unbelievable that you have only 120v service. But the easiest place to check for a novice is count the number of wires you have at your weatherhead. If you have three, you have 220 volts, if only two you have 120.
Now, for your other questions, your reference to 220/240 is not only unsafe but also not even possible in your case if you only have 120 volts.
Every panel is supposed to be labeled. That is a directory which has numbers corresponding to the breaker slots. However, these are notoriously missing or very inaccurate.
I'm going to assume you have a 220 system. If so, you need to run a new 220v line to where you want your kiln. Depending on size you want most are 220 anyway, even for the hobbyist. You would need a very small one, a table top variety to get into the 110 volt variety and then you would need a separate ciruit because of the amp load.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: