Question about Wiring a Receptacle

Old 07-22-02, 08:40 PM
M
mrbello
Visiting Guest
Question about Wiring a Receptacle

I have a 14/2 wire going from a 20 amp breaker to a junction box that has the black and white wire with wire nuts on them.
The questions I have is:

1. Can I run a 12/2 wire from that junction box to a receptacle that would feed a refrigerator. Also if so can I tie the black from the 14/2 to the black of the 12/2 wire ( in the juntion box), the same with the white wire.

2. How many receptacles or light fixtures can I put off this 20 amp breaker?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-02, 09:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is not a legal circuit already. 14 wire has max of 15 A breaker on it. The 20 is a NO NO!!! You can put a 12 on a 20. I like to have seperate circuit for fridge if possible.

Old 07-23-02, 06:57 AM
M
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Swap either breaker or wiring ASAP!!

I strongly concur with Sberry's opinion; this is totally illegal and also a possible fire hazard. Please do yourself a lifesaving favor and swap out either your breaker from 20A to 15A or the wiring from 14/2 to 12/2. Fridge, I believe, is not required to be on a dedicated circuit, however, check the amp rating on it and make sure that new outlet you're gonna install can take up the load.

Old 07-23-02, 09:05 AM
J
I also agree. You currently have a fire waiting to happen. If you add to this circuit, you may actually make it happen.

Old 07-23-02, 10:37 AM
S
John or Joe,,, what is the rule on fridges? I know in new homes and my own stuff I just run a dedicated for it just,,, because,,,, I know whats on it and there is never any confusion. It cant be part of the dedicated kitchen recepys can it?

Old 07-23-02, 11:38 AM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Yes a refrigerator is allowed to be part of the small appliance branch circuits required to serve kitchen counter, kitchen, dining, pantry or nook areas. The NEC goes further to say that a receptacle that is located behind a large appliance including a refrigerator is not required but may be GFI protected. I strongly advise against GFI protection on refrigeration units.

The NEC also states that a refrigerator may be but is not required to installed on a 15 amp 14 awg dedicated branch circuit.

HOwever the NEC also forbids this refrigerator to be on any 15 amp rated multioutlet branch circuit other than the receptacles serving a small appliance branch circuit due to that refrig most commonly pulling more than 50% of the amp rating of that multioutlet branch circuit.

Again however if you ran 20 amp rated branch circuits in say the living room that is serving a multioutlet general lighting branch circuit and if your refrigerator pulls less than 10 amps then that refrigerator would be allowed on that 20 amp rated multioultet general lighting branch circuit.

Did I confuse the issue yet?

Wg

Old 07-24-02, 07:57 AM
S
I got it,, now if I can remember it is another matter. I did a new home a while back and didnt have any problem due to the fact we wanted plenty and naturally just met code due to seperate for micro and fridge and still had 2 circuits for counters. But I recall the inspect seeming to insist that there couldnt be anything else on the small appliance circuits,,, I think he read his personal feelings in there a bit.

Old 07-24-02, 08:00 PM
Always go seperate breaker if possible

No GFI'S !!!
Would you want a nusance trip to create a nasty mess from the frige being cut off ??

Also woudl you want a small kitch appliance to pop the breaker then end up with a warm fridge if you didn't notice it right away ??

Run 12/2 on a 20A circuit striaght to fridge if possible