Too many outlets????

Old 07-23-02, 12:06 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Too many outlets????

Just a question, but I think I already know the answer--

I have 10+ outlets, and two overheard lights, a GFI outlet, and 2 sets of outdoor floodlights on one 20 amp circuit. The house is 40 years old, so it is the kind of wire they used 40 years ago. It has a darkish colored outer shell around the wire(2 wire system).\

I have also just plugged in a power strip for my entertainment center, with 6 plugs and they are all full.

Am I in serious danger??? I have just finished the room, and we are completely done with everything decorating. I'd hate to go back now!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-02, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 39 Posts
It's not so much the number of outlets as the number of devices and how much power they are pulling. As I recall the rule of thumb is to not exceed 80% of the capacity or 16 amps total in your case. To figure how many amps you are drawing add up the wattage of all the devies and divide by the voltage (110). Say you add up everything and it comes to 1750 watts; 1750w/110v=15.9a. Your voltage may vary, but 1700-1800w would be about your absolute max. I would be concerned. Should be getting additional info from the pro's here shortly I'm sure.

Old 07-23-02, 08:03 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The tow guy doesn't need any help. Well stated!