unsafe ?

Old 07-23-02, 05:35 PM
Visiting Guest
unsafe ?

I was replacing a wall switch one of three in a row. When I had to pull the old switch out to replace the new the power wire was attached to the adjacent switch like a lasso. it was wrapped around in a circle. Is this unsafe ? I had to replace the switch and close up the area as I have little ones. I wrapped the wire in electrical tape. When I looked into the box holding the three switches it looked like a box of snakes. There were so many wires going in loads of directions. Can I replace this mess myself ? how do I know which wires go to what

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-02, 05:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your situation is allowed, safe, and common. And almost any box with three switches will have a mess of wiring. Unless you have some reason to change something, I strongly suggest you don't mess with it. Even for an experienced electrician, it would take a little while to figure out what all the cables are for. The electrician would make a sketch of the existing wiring before disconnecting anything. Otherwise, it would be extremely painful and tedious to figure out how to put it back together.

Just curious, but why are you replacing the switch?

Old 07-26-02, 04:30 AM
Visiting Guest
I was replacing the switch because it wouldn't turn on the light.

We unfortunately when I replaced the third switch I must have knocked something loose on the first one because it is not working now.

Wish me luck

Thanks for you assistance

Old 07-26-02, 10:52 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We need to know the types of switches in the 3-gang box.A single-pole switch has 2 connection terminals-a "3-way" switch has 3 connection terminals.One of the terminals on the switch not working should have voltage-to-Ground."Ground" is either a metal box or a bare wire. Please Post back-Thanks