rewiring inspection question

Old 07-24-02, 01:40 PM
H
Houghie
Visiting Guest
rewiring inspection question

Hello - I'm new to this site and to diy - I've got a novice question. My husband has been re-wiring our 1922 house and he is nervous about the inspection. I'm sure he's done a great job, but does anyone have any advice for us? Has anybody been through this? I realize that each state can be different, but any sort of info would be really great so I can calm his fears and keep him going!
Specifically - do you know - what general rules are for bringing a really old house up to code? I think we're basically there, but there are a few things that are not so simple, such as a wall without an outlet in the living room (he tried to cut a hole and the wall seems to be fairly solid wood - weird) things like that.

help? thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-02, 05:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have your husband take the little quiz I posted in this thread. If he says, "yea, I knew that" to all my bullets, then he's probably okay. Read as many books as you can, do the job as carefully as you can, and encourage the inspector to find as many problems as he can. Expect some rework.

If your husband reads the last six months of posts in this forum, we have probably covered most of what you need to know. It's impossible for us to judge how skillful and knowledgeable your husband is, but we wish you good luck.

Last edited by John Nelson; 07-25-02 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-25-02, 07:11 AM
H
Houghie
Visiting Guest
thanks!

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-25-02, 03:08 PM
T
terrywouldbe
Visiting Guest
wrong thread link

John,

You posted the wrong thread link in reply to Houghie.

Houghie, the correct Thread is ghart's Rewiring a basement.

Sorry, I don't know how to add a link

-Terry

Old 07-25-02, 03:13 PM
J
So I did. Thanks for the catch, Terry. I went back and edited my original post with the correct link.

Old 07-26-02, 11:09 AM
P
Very Important; GFI receptacles required at these locations if installed- kitchen counter-tops-bathrooms-outdoors-garages-unfinished basements -crawl-spaces . Did you re-place the old service?-Grounding very important.---The sucessful completion of this project will give a sence of accomplishment---Good Luck!!

Old 07-30-02, 08:04 AM
H
Houghie
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up hooray!

Well - it's almost over. My husband passed the inspection, no problem. THe inspector even told him that he was a little anal - and he was proud! Unfortunately, we thought we had 200 service but found out that we didn't, so we spent the weekend (and more money....) putting in a new meter box and mast and things like that. Now we've got everyone's approval, but they are too busy to turn our power back on! Ah well - at least we'll have power again someday.....

Thanks for all your mental support
Houghie