repairing hydraulic floor jack

Old 07-27-02, 02:46 AM
emilnitrate
Visiting Guest
repairing hydraulic floor jack

Where can I find information on repairing a 2 ton hydraulic floor jack? It will lift about 1/4 of the ram but will go no higher, I've tried to add or replace the jack oil. But either I didn't do it correctly or to be honest do not know what 'm doing.

Old 07-28-02, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
emilnitrate:
It is likely that the oil level is not correct. On a normal hydraulic bottle jack the correct level is up to the filler hole.
I'm not sure how your jack is set-up but if you estimate the body to be about two thirds full you wouldn't be far off.
Leave the filler plug off while you raise and lower it with no load the first time after filling. If it's overfilled the excess will run out the hole, and not pop the rubber plug or build up pressure in the body if it's a screw.
Make sure you use jack oil, as motor oil WILL rot the seals.
I don't think it's a good idea to repair those things unless it's a high quality professional model and then it would be better to take it to a shop.
The use of a jack has some serious safety issues, even when your loads are properly supported.

Old 08-07-02, 05:58 PM
emilnitrate
Visiting Guest
Hi Greg,
I appreciate the reply. The jack is a standard 2-ton floor jack like you'd see in any auto repair shop or tire shop like Discount Tire, etc.
So the bottle is positioned horizontally with the ram pushing a lever that raises the arm or supporting platform.
The handle turns clock-wise to raise the vehicle, and counter clock-wise to lower.
On the left side of the handle where it attaches to the bottlem is a hex head screw that I assume is the filler hole, and on the right side is a slotted head screw or maybe I should call them plugs. I am not sure what the slotted on does. But I have added jack oil but it still will not operate properly. I only raises a small amount at each pump or stroke of the handle which I know isn't correct.
I will try your advise, but it doesn't seem too different than what I have done before.
I knew not to put any oil other than hydraulic jack oil into it. But it was given to me so there may be the possibility the previous owner didn't know that. I may end up taking it somewhere but was thinking the charges may be comparible to buying a new unit.
Again I thank you for your reply.
Nice to hear from you.
Emil

Old 08-07-02, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The filler on mine is on the "bottle " portion and not on the cast iron section that the piston is on.
You are right that it is probably not worth fixing.
I bought a Taiwan knock off that I have been abusing for about three years, and it's still going strong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: