Drill bits

Old 07-29-02, 10:58 AM
Drill bits

I've got alot of dull drill bits. I heard of a product called (The Drill Doctor) is this product worth the money or should i just buy a new set of bits. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 05:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Nichboy and Welcome to my Sharpening forum.

The product you mentioned will do an excellent job of sharpening drill bits for your intended purpose. Intended purpose means for non commerical uses, which I assume are your intended uses.

Sharpening bits with any machine still requires some practice. Read the instructional manual and practice on the worse bits of the bunch. Expect to distroy, damage or be less then satisfied with the results of one or two bits while practising....it's part of the practising & learning mode....

Read the other postings, within this forum ,on this topic of drill bit sharpening and the replies I offered others.

Should you require additional assistance, kindly use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the other readers of this topic to follow the topic.

Regards and Good Luck.
Sharpening Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Favorite Quotes:

"Of Course I Don't Look Busy...I Did It Right The First Time!"...

"Keep Smiling" Smiling creates minor workplace distractions and bosses wonder what in the &!#@#!$&$ are you up to now!".....

Old 07-30-02, 10:21 AM
Concerning the same product, will it sharpen carbide tipped masonry bits?

Old 07-30-02, 06:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: thiggy

If memory serves me, there are diamond wheels made for that machine. Carbide tools require diamond wheels for accurate & precision sharpening.

However, there are some wheels called "Green Wheels" that can be used with satisfactory results but not satisfactory enough for commerical quality, in my opinion.

Nichboy. When and if you purchase that machine, note whether the instructional manual mentions if that model can also sharpen carbide bits and if so, which wheel it recommends. Post back the information for Thiggy and all others reading your topic here.

Thanks,
Tom_B

Old 07-30-02, 10:34 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Have a bench grinder?

Scribe a 59 degree line (should look like the hour hand at 1 o'clock) on the tool rest.

Clamp a small peice of steel stock on the line. That serves as your fence.

Turn the grinder on.

Using the fence as your guide slowly feed the bit towards the wheel and turn the bit clockwise.

Old 07-31-02, 04:33 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: NutAndBoltKing

Good suggestion.

I personally do not recommend that method to those asking this type of question because I do not know the persons abilities, capabilities or what power equipement they may already have in their workshop.

However, your suggested method will work fine. I have used this hand grinding method and other similar methods myself. The only drawback to hand sharpening is, this method does not thin the centerline web and assure an accurate center point.

There are several grinder attachments besides the machine mentioned by Nichboy that help maintain a more accurate sharpening.

In my opinion, these drill bit sharpening grinder attachments are beneficial at maintaining accuracy for the beginning sharpener and non commerical do-it-yourself tool sharpener.

Thanks for your suggestion NutAndBoltKing.
Good Luck Nichboy

Do-It-Yourself Forum Host &
Sharpening Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Old 07-31-02, 11:46 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Tom's ending quote: "Work shop safety is no accident" is probably the best advice anyone can receive, and sharpening a drill bit in the manner I described above can be dangerous if it's not done carefully, or done without patience and safety glasses.

One of the EASIEST ways to sharpen a bit is to NOT let it get dull. Sounds stupid maybe, but it's true. How many of us use the right drill speed when boring a hole, or use oil, tallow, or beeswax to help it stay cool and sharp? Do we make pilot holes and move up in size gradually to the final size we need? Not only do we pull the trigger on the drill machine and make the bit turn too fast - we push too hard. Why force things? Let the drill bit just do it's job - and please don't use the bit to ream the hole; change to the size you need. Bits will stay sharp - if you let them.