Does anyone have a Rotozip? If so.....

Old 07-29-02, 06:12 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone have a Rotozip? If so.....

I am looking into getting a Rotozip to use for some crafts and minor woodworking projects. I see mixed reviews on the net. A ton of people say that can't live without it now that they have it while others say they take it back right after they use it. Here's what I want to use it for:

Small woodworking projects like making candles, shelves, and the such.. I tried making candles with a jigsaw and cutting out the circles for the bases was very hard for me. When I seen the rotozip and the circle attachement it got me interested. I would also use it for doing other things. I have to cut paneling out of my basement to frame in windows....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
Not as handy as they look.

I own the Porter Cable version of the Roto Zip.
It is not as good a tool as I thought it would be. It is a lot faster at cutting some things but not as easy to control as a jig-saw.
It also sends up more dust when cutting drywall than a jig-saw.
The one advantage it has is that you get better depth control than a jig-saw. This is important when you are unsure of what is behind the panel you are cutting.

Old 07-30-02, 05:58 AM
hi ho sliver
Visiting Guest
Talking rotozip

I have a rotozip...not a copy by some other company, I don't use it a lot, but the few times I have had to use it, it did a great job and was the only tool in the box that would accomplish the job! I do think the complete kits are too expensive, but you can get the single rotozip pretty cheap now.

Old 08-07-02, 11:27 AM
L
About a year ago I bought one and used it to cut pumpkins out of wood, did not like it and went back to my jig saw. I have not seen it since that day. LOL

Old 08-07-02, 11:58 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello LI handyman, Rotozip is hard to control when not using some kind of pattern or guide for the bit to ride on......Mike

Old 08-07-02, 02:13 PM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
I use mine for cutting sheetrock and making notches in OSB. It is hard to control at first. Like anything else it takes patience and practice. I am still learning how to make cut outs for receptacle boxes without melting the plastic.

Could I live without it? Yes.
Would I give mine up? No way. Sheetrocking is already a pain in the butt. I am not going to make it any harder.

Old 08-09-02, 05:19 PM
Use mine for cutting out sheetrock on tub and shower surrounds. Love it to death. Not as fast as as sawzall, but like what was said in other post, you can control the depth of exactly what you need.

All in all, a great tool for what I use it for.

Old 08-23-02, 04:47 AM
GodsBeast
Visiting Guest
I borrowed one to install lights, and a cassette player in my truck, in a overhead console (1/2) inch plywood. I also used it to cut through 1/8 inch stanless steel to install switches and a siren box in my police car. As another post stated it can be hard to control, I was using it in tight places, and broke a couple of bits, but I still can't think of another tool I could have used, to do the job. I cut through the interior roof of my truck, without cutting through the exterior roof, and being able to control the depth, kept me from cutting into other control wires in my police car. I wouldn't try to do all my cutting with one, but it is the right tool for certain jobs, and it will handle what you stated you intend to use it on.

Old 08-23-02, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
GodsBeast:
Quote: "I also used it to cut through 1/8 inch stanless steel to install switches and a siren box in my police car."

I'm curious to know what type of bit you can use with a Roto Zip tool that can cut through 1/8" stainless.
I have done some work with stainless and know that it is very difficult to cut with standard HSS blades and drill bits.
A little easier with specialty bits but really?

Old 08-23-02, 08:23 PM
GodsBeast
Visiting Guest
Hello Greg H, It has been some time ago that I did that project with the "Borrowed" Roto zip, but I remember going to Home Depot and buying a few metal bits. Like I said I broke a few of them. I had to cut through the metal roof in my truck and it cut that metal with ease, when I got to the stainless, I set a depth and cut a while, then when I wore out the bit in that section I adjusted the depth to cut with another area of the bit. I remember at one time I put one bit on my bench grinder to grind down the lower worn out part, so the hot bit would not get into the control wires. I knew going in that the bit was not made for stainless, but sometime you have to do what you have to do. Like I said, that was some time ago, by now, they may make a stainless bit for the Roto zip, I don't own one so I have not kept up with it's bits. I fool with Stainless on occasion, I know it can be a hard metal to fool with, but I have more time than money, and I love stainless, so maybe it is on the list of things, that is meant to teach me patience.

Old 08-23-02, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
When I travel to the city from our rural home I never get enough time to browse Home Depot and check out all the gadgets that they offer. I'll make a point of looking for them.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-02, 09:37 PM
GodsBeast
Visiting Guest
Hey tbird2340, with all the views on this subject, I was wondering if you decided to take the plunge and get a Roto Zip?

Old 09-07-02, 08:01 PM
kerrylj
Visiting Guest
rotozip

I have both a rotozip as well as a dremel. I have often used the rotozip bits in the dremel. I often use the dremel if I need precise control to do the job since I can set the speed of the blade. this is not possible with the rotozip I have.

If you have a dremel and don't have heavy cutting to do you might find the dremel with rotozip blades will do the tough jobs and the delicate stuff that the dremel is great at.

I find I break bits if I try to cut faster than the tool is cutting and push or pull the tool. I break alot less blades when I go slow.

Hope that helps

Old 09-09-02, 09:39 AM
rgrogan
Visiting Guest
I also have the Rotozip and a Dremel. Both have their respective place in my arsenal of tools. Rotozip works great for quick non-critical cuts. I have made some very accurate cuts with it by setting up a straight edge fence to guide it. I have also used it with the diamond bits to cut curves in ceramic tiles. Unfortunately the spindle lock on my Rotozip has stopped working.