Chisels

Old 08-16-02, 01:56 PM
Chisels

I am just starting into woodworking and have acquired a nice set of chisels.

First, what is the best way to sharpen them?

I do not have any oilstones yet. My sharpening tools are limited to a variable-speed Delta grinder with a white "friable" sharpening wheel.

Is it okay to sharpen my chisels on this wheel (at the lowest speed)? Do you recommend a grinding jig to maintain the correct angle? I am looking for a quick, low-cost method, but I do NOT want to ruin my tools by mistake.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-02, 01:37 PM
Brad:

Unless you've put a real ding in the chisel(s) or have lost the bevel through improper sharpening I wouldn't put them near a power sharpener.

Rockler (and several other companies) offer a whetstone/jig combination that provides the stone needed for putting on a good edge along with the jig to insure you get the right angle.

http://www.rockler.com

Their catalog is free.

Old 08-19-02, 11:07 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Brad26

Most hand tools like chisels, etc, with flat edges can be hand sharpened with reasonably good results on belt sanders using a medium grit belts & finishing up with a fine grit belt.

Some practice will be required and the trick is to keep the edges squared.

It may be cost effective for the casual user and woodworkers to have specialized tools professionally sharpened... or purchase machinery for those specific tools used.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum topic, for other sharpening questions and the replies offered on an assortment of tools.

Regards and Good Luck. Sharpening Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quotes:
Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 08-19-02, 07:08 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
My Grandfather was a blacksmith, and much of his business was sharpening tools for finicky old tradesmen, especially their prized chisels and plane blades.

He never used any of his bench grinders to sharpen these tools because he said that a 6 or 8 inch round grinder wheel can't provide enough good surface contact to make the good sharp edge needed on chisels, and that a grinder wheel spins too fast and causes the tool to heat up too much.

He used a bench mounted medium grit belt sander, always at the lowest speed, and gave the tool 'breaks' so it wouldn't overheat during sharpening. He would dip them in oil. Doing that helped to cool them, helped in cleaning the tiny metal particles off, and helped the sharpening process.

He usually did it by eye, but he had a couple of jigs.

One kind was simply a hand-sized block of wood cut to the exact angle of the chisel. That kind worked so well and was so easy that even I could sharpen chisels.

Another kind of jig he had was very simply made with two thin blocks of wood, two bolts, and two wing nuts. The chisel fitted nicely between the blocks and the wing nuts and bolts held it tight. He called it his Friday Clamp. He needed it every Friday after drinking a dozen or so icy cold Schaefers with lunch. This jig also let him do two smaller chisels at the same time.

Old 08-20-02, 06:11 AM
Exclamation Chisel basics

Guys, thanks for all the replys.

After reading your posts, there's no way I want to go near the grinder with my chisels.

I think I'll just buy a waterstone and sharpening jig.

Any suggestions on uses for this white "friable" wheel on my grinder?

Thanks!

Old 08-20-02, 03:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Brad26

A white wet stone can be used to deburr the chisels and almost any other straight edged tool. The only caution is not to deburr form the backside {flatside} of the tool. That side must remain perfectly flat.

White wheels and wet stones have many uses in the shop. They can be and often are very well worth while to have when used correctly and for their intended purposes.

Regards and Good Luck With Your New Found Hobby And Or Vocation.
Do-It-Yourself Forum Host &
Sharpening Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."