cutting through a steel bar

Old 08-29-02, 02:38 PM
trade student
Visiting Guest
Unhappy cutting through a steel bar

Hello Please answer this question;
While using a hacksaw to cut through a 1" diameter steel bar, a maintenance worker should not press down too heavily on the hacksaw because this may:
a) break the blade
b) overheat the bar
c) permanently distort the frame
d) cause the hacksaw to slip

Thanks for your help...I have a few more if your interested in helping!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-02, 08:27 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
are we cheating on a test here?

I pick D. but im not infallible.

Hope this helps-Josh

Old 08-29-02, 08:47 PM
E. Get a torch.

Old 08-29-02, 09:00 PM
GodsBeast
Visiting Guest
Hey Josh1, I actually almost fell out of my chair laughing at this one, and your response almost accomplished, no take that back, it did accomplish bending the support pole on my chair! You have to give it to trade student.....seek and ye shall find!!
You know, the answer might be A, too bad they didn't have
e) A & D.

Because you two made me laugh, I'll include a story my dad told me. Two workers were working in the shop on a rainy day, One was Hacksawing, the other holding. The Saw slipped and cut the hand of the one holding. The one sawing, paused, grabbed a nearby rag, and threw it over the cut hand The one holding, paused, then said, "I guess you think if you cover it, I wouldn't notice." The one sawing, never broke stride, came back "No, I just can't stand the sight of blood!"

Old 08-29-02, 10:12 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
It's 'A' break the blade

Hello trade student;

I went up into my dusty musty attic and dug out some old carpenter apprenticeship books for your answer:

"Blades should be installed with the teeth pointing forward, away from the handle. Use both hands to operate the saw. Apply enough pressure on forward strokes to alow each tooth to remove a small amount of metal. Remove pressure on the return stroke to reduce wear on the blade. Saw with long steady strokes paced at about 40 to 50 strokes per minute. Use caution not to exert too much pressure on the hacksaw during the forward stroke as this may cause the blade to break. If the blade does break, re-install a new blade and start on the opposite end of your cut as a new blade will have a wider kerf and may bind in the first cut."

quoted from page 42
Carpentry Manual 'A' Tools of the Trade
printed and distributed by
United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America
101 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington DC 20001

Old 08-30-02, 04:37 AM
trade student
Visiting Guest
Josh1,Sherry27,GodsBeast&NUTANSBOLTKING

Thanks so much for the humor J,S,G and thanks most to N&BK, This is home work and we are allowed to seek out the answers anyway we can! Ask a friend, ask a pro, surf the net...and use books. Sometimes surfing the net for an answer takes forever. If your're up for it I have a few more I'm stuck on! Want to help!

[SIZE=3]Thanks again.[/SIZE] Thanks again.

Old 08-30-02, 10:15 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
go ahead ..... ask

Old 08-30-02, 10:43 AM
Here is another possible answer,,, Tell that cheepo boss to buy some tools for this job!

Old 08-31-02, 08:42 AM
hi ho sliver
Visiting Guest
trade school questions?

It might pay off in the long run, to pay attention in class!