Tool Ratings

Old 09-03-02, 10:27 AM
cmp
Visiting Guest
Tool Ratings

Can anyone point me to a resource that rates various power tools? I know of Consumer Reports but getting a comparison on specific items are far and few between issues.

I'm looking to purchase a reciprocating saw and a cordless drill.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-02, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old 09-03-02, 08:18 PM
cmp,

WOOD magazine is another great mag that rates tools every month. Oct. 2002 is bandsaws.
You may find them at the library.

fred

Old 09-04-02, 07:45 AM
Mr. Kiss
Just a word of advice...
When you purchase any tools, shy away from those made in mainland China....

Old 09-04-02, 10:21 AM
One of the best things that I ever heard as advise for buying tools is this. Buy the best tool that you can afford. Most of my power tools are either DeWalt or one of the other name brands. I get a lot of tools from looking in pawnshops. I watch the prices they charge and the condition of the tool vs. the cost of buying the tool new. I have also bought tools on Ebay. I also buy a lot of reconditioned tools. The best example of a pawn shop find was when I got my DeWalt 12 inch sliding compund mitre saw. The thing normally retails for $600 at the local big box stores. I got it at the pawn shop for $250. And it's in perfect condition.

Now if it's a toll that I will only be using one or two times, I will by the cheap knock off.

Old 09-04-02, 02:50 PM
cmp
Visiting Guest
thanks for the help

I've checked out all the links and I'm glad I did. I was going to go with a DeWalt drill and found problems with it. A little more research gives me a lot to think about.

Oh, I think I'll get the Porter Cable 14v cordless drill!

Old 09-04-02, 03:09 PM
Mr. Kiss
Oops, should of told you to take a peek here:

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_Tools-All

Old 09-05-02, 08:59 AM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
The recip-saw top honors is held by Milwaukee.
What probs have you found with the DW-XRP drills?

Old 09-05-02, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
cmp:

Ive got a Porter Cable 14v cordless drill; want it ?

When it was about 6 months old the brake quit working; took it in and got it fixed under warranty in about 10 minutes. A month or so out of warranty the brake quit again. This time they told me they would have to have it for about a month and no warranty even after just fixing it. Didn't get it fixed because could not be without that long. Right now I use it only as a drill and use my 8 year old Makita for driving screws. Maybe I just had some bad luck with Porter Cable, but when it dies, I'm going back to Makita.

BTW, when I buy tools, I try to buy the best. I also spend some time talking to the trades on the jobs I supervise about what holds up best. Have never seen Porter Cable drills, but lots of Makita's.

Bruce

Old 09-05-02, 02:09 PM
cmp
Visiting Guest
Well shoot, I just bought my PC 14.4 1/2 drill. I'm hoping that my experiences are like the other's that I've talked to and read about, which is extreme satisfaction.

For me, this drill may be overkill, I'm doing a fair bit of DOIY projects but most of the bigger ones are what chewed up my pathetic Black & Decker. Well, there's always the next fixer-uper I buy.

From what I read, there were a lot of complaints against the DeWalts for bad clutches.

Oh yeah, I also chickened out and got a (relatively) cheap 7.5 amp DeWalt reciprocating saw.

Old 09-05-02, 02:31 PM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
Just as I thought on the DW-XRP, "bad clutches".
If you ask a knowledgeable dealer, DW online, analyze the specs/application, you will see why buyers return the new DWs due to "defective clutches" - they don't understand it.
In speed-1/low-torque, why do you need the clutch - it's intention is for use on the likes of driving lag-bolts (another reason why you have 1/2" drive capacity and not to mention 400in.lbs.).
Any of the pro colors will suffice for the homeuser, basically narrowed down to ergonomics, preference and budget.
Good luck.