Fence post cutting

Old 09-04-02, 02:44 PM
diy2
Visiting Guest
Question Fence post cutting

I'm looking to cut down several chain link fence posts (galvanized) that are embedded in asphalt. Is there a relatively simple way of cutting these? I've tried a sawzall (w/ bi-metal blade), but it didn't seem to have much effect. Eventually, I'll be breaking up the asphalt, but for the time being, I just need the fence taken down.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-02, 03:26 PM
Mr. Kiss
Sawzall is the way to go, about 8" long blade so you can bend it slightly to cut flush with the ground...
My guess is you used the wrong type blade.
Try a different one, about 18 teeth per in or more.

Old 09-04-02, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
wrong blade.

diy2:
lgchristianson is probably right in that you were using the wrong blade.
Milwaukee's Bi-Metal blades are made out of two different metals fused together. The teeth of a hard material to keep an edge and the body of the blade a flexible metal to be able to bend and not snap.
Their wood cutting blades and the metal cutting blades are Bi-Metal

Old 09-05-02, 02:46 AM
GodsBeast
Visiting Guest
Hey Diy2, did you consider cutting the posts with a portaband saw right at the ground, and then take a sidegrinder and grind the remainder of the post to the level of the asphalt? It would make it a safer area, when finished, you wouldn't want some child to come along and cut their foot on a piece of that posts left sticking up! Hope this helps.

Old 09-05-02, 05:46 AM
Mr. Kiss
While I'm thinking of it... It'll probably be a lot easier to remove the posts now before ya cut them depending upon how they've been sunk. Grab them at the top and see if you can shake them loose.