saw blades

Old 09-20-02, 10:17 PM
Dash
Visiting Guest
saw blades

I just bought a Craftsman radialarm saw from a friend.
What should I look for in saw blades. In particular, I'm looking for a dado blade. Any information will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-02, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
Well, you basically have three choices in dado blades: stack, wobbler, or twin blade adjustable (Craftsman's is called excalibur I believe). In my never-to-be-humble opinion the stacked type is the best; gives squarest cut and flattest bottom. Biggest drawback is that for fine tuning cutting width you have to add shims between the cutters. The other two types are infinitely adjustable, but don't give as good a finished dado. Carbide tipped goes without saying.

And a word of caution, the radial arm saw can be a real bear to get good dados on. The table set up/alignment has to be very exact so as to get the proper accuracy of the dado cut over the entire length of the travel. I have about a 12 yr old Sears radial arm and a 50+ year old Delta table saw; the radial arm I use for storage (has some nice cabinets underneath) and as an auxiliary bench. The table saw does all the cutting.