1/2" impact wrench

Old 09-22-02, 09:22 AM
gowitheflow
Visiting Guest
1/2" impact wrench

I'm going to buy a 1/2" impact air wrench. I would like your opinions on those I've seen in the $30 to $40 range with 230 ft/ lbs of torque. Would they be suitable for occasional auto repairs , including breaking lug nuts.

thanks for your input

Gerald

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-02, 12:43 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello gowitheflow, yes it really should work well for your purpose. The difference is how long the tool will properly operate in daily continuous use.....Mike

Old 09-23-02, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
gowitheflow:
I have owned a $40.00 impact for over ten years and bought a replacement only because I dropped it and broke the socket retainer.
My new one was only $30.00 on sale, is a bit smaller, but has as much power as my old one.
I have an extensive collection of cheap air tools and get very good service from them.

Old 09-25-02, 06:40 PM
elderberry99
Visiting Guest
impact wrench

A word to the wise. Whatever price you pay for that air tool rather it be an impact wrench, or grinder, remember to inject a small amount of "air tool" oil down the air inlet fitting of the tool every so often and run that tool until you see some oil coming out of the air exhaust holes. This will keep that tools air veins (that make the tool spin) from sticking. This is from experience. Doing this whenever you are going to put the tool away for any length of time will ensure that the tool will not become rusty due to moisture in the air supply.

Old 09-26-02, 07:22 AM
gowitheflow
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info on the impact wrench. I'll go ahead and buy one in this price.

Thanks

Gerald

Old 09-26-02, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
It's amazing how much crap gets in these tools.
If I think I won't be using a tool for awhile I will run WD-40 through it, let it all blow out and then give it some air tool oil.
This seems to keep them running well.