Table Saw Suggestions

Old 09-20-02, 08:18 PM
1MEMA
Visiting Guest
Question What To Look For When Buying A Table Saw

I AM STARTING TO BUILD UP SOME TOOLS FOR MY WORKSHOP, AND LOOKING TO PURCHASE A STATIONARY TABLESAW.
WHILE LOOKING AT WHAT IS ALL AVAILABLE, WHICH IS THE BEST.

SUCH AS, DIRECT DRIVE OR GEAR DRIVE? 15 AMPS WITH 1.8 HP OR 15 AMPS WITH 3 HP?

I AM JUST LOOKING TO USE IT FOR CRAFTS, PICTURE FRAMES, BOOKCASES, ETC.

MY BUDGET CALLS FOR 250.00 OR LESS.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I JUST PURCHASED A COMPOUND MITRE SAW, WITH A 8 INCH BLADE. THIS IS CALL TOOL SHOP HAS ANYONE HEARD OF IT?
IT SEEMS TO BE STURDY.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!

Old 09-21-02, 02:46 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Based on my dad's experience, I can tell you what not to buy. He bought a Craftsman saw with a cable drive from the motor to the arbor. After about 4 years of use, the cable broke and it cost almost $100 to replace.

I also have a Craftsman saw, but with a belt drive. About 20 years old; had to replace the motor after about 10 years, no trouble since. My current experience with Craftsman power tools suggests that I probably would not buy Craftsman again.

BTW, an advantage to the belt drive: I put an adjustable sheave pulley on the motor; now I can adjust the speed of the blade for different types of cutting.

Bruce

Old 09-21-02, 08:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have an old craftsman. Alum table direct drive. Has been a great saw. Wanting a new one with cast iron table and lots of table in front of the blade. I would watch the want ads, just saw one a year old, paid $600 barley used wat $250. You gave me the bug to go buy one now, need to fight that off. Of course I will go Craftsman.

Old 09-23-02, 11:11 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
Do a search on the internet to see different specs on the table saws. Visit various stores to see what the look and feel like. Then shop for a used one or wait until your budget is bigger.

Your CMS should cover you on the picture framing, never heard of the brand though.

You can also get the lumberyard to cut the wood for you, at a price and some possible meaurement errors.

Otherwise get a good circular saw a straight edge. I've built quite a few things that way and still no TS yet. Maybe for Christmas...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: