Impulse buy - Stihl Chainsaw - good deal?

Old 09-24-02, 12:31 PM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
Impulse buy - Stihl Chainsaw - good deal?

OK, it was impulsive but I've been lusting for a chainsaw for some time now and so I bought a used Stihl chainsaw from the local pawnshop. We just moved into a "fixer upper" that has been empty for several years. It's now time to administer a little justice to the back yard. The saw looked fairly unused. I believe the model number is 009. Does anyone know about Stihl chainsaws and what would this baby go for brand new? Since it came from a pawnshop, there is no user manual. Does the gas reguire a mixture with oil? Any help will be greatly appreciated....

Old 09-24-02, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Yes, the fuel requires a mixture of oil (usually 2 oz per gallon).
If you run straight gasoline through it, it will quickly burn up the engine.
A Stihl chainsaw is the "Cadillac" of chainsaws.
I've had one for years (among others), and they are the best, in my opinion.
Contact the Stihl (Swedish) US dealer nearest you, and try to get an operating manual.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 09-24-02, 08:55 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Stihl runs on a 50:1 gas to oil mix which is 2.6 onces of 2 cycle oil to one gallon of gas. Stihl 009 is about $250.00 US. If you get good service from this saw you will be one of the few. I hope you are one of them. Some Stihl dealers refuse to sell the 009-019 to pros because they will not hold up. Perhaps for your purposes you will get good service. Good luck with the saw. BTW, I'm not slamming this make of saw....I'm a Stihl guy.....Mike

Old 09-25-02, 05:14 AM
TomBT
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice...I paid $150 and intend to use it around the yard - nothing commercial. Also, thanks for the advice and warning on the gas/oil mixture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: