Which type of mitre saw ???

Old 09-26-02, 08:50 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
Which type of mitre saw ???

Yes I am going out and buy a powered mitre saw this weekend and would like to know which brand to buy? The brands I am looking at are a 10 inch Delta and a 10 inch Roybi. I hope Roybi is spelled right I couldn't remeber for sure. They are both around a $100 dollars Lowes sells the Delta and Home Depot the Roybi. I am just going to be using this to cut some trim for my home and then use it ever now and then but I would just like to hear from people that has used them which one is the better saw and more dependable brand. Thanks for any help Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-02, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steve,
If they are comparably priced, then buy the Delta. Delta has a very good reputation in power tools. The Ryobi's are on the lower end of the scale, but I own and can't knock their drill press, ros sader, and batt drill.
fred

Old 09-30-02, 05:55 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ryobi - as fewalt said - are generally considered "lower end" but I own several Ryobi tools - (Cordless drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw). I recently framed, drywalled, etc my basement and I must say they have performed admirably. Overall I'm very pleased with them. The only "weakness" I've noticed is that with the cordless circular saw (5 1/2") when cutting longer wood/rip cutting it would drain the batteries quicker. Not much of a problem for the occasional do-it-yourselfer like me but I could see it being a problem if you were a professional who needed it more regularly and handled bigger stuff. Having said all this in terms of a miter saw - I recently purchased a Dewalt 10" compound miter saw - significantly more expensive than the Ryobi but they were running a special where you get a free other tool with it ($70.00 value) so in the end not much of a difference. I'm very happy with it. Seemed more solidly built than other 10" miter saws. Check around with the deals the run sometimes you might get a "higher" end brand for comparable price. If no such luck, the Delta would probably be considered better than the Ryobi and most likely will cost more. However if you only plan to use it occasionally I'm sure the Ryobi will be fine. I know Home Depot sells a 10" Ryobi for $89.00 and a 10" Compound Ryobi for $149.00.

Hope this helps.